When I was little I used to get soft shell tacos from Taco Bell. I’d happily open them up, and use my spork to scoop out the insides.
I’d methodologically eat the lettuce. Then the cheese. Then the meat. Because you have to save the best for last. Then I would bite two eye holes and a mouth hole in the soft shell and use it as a mask.
Turns out, 25 years later, I’m still opening up my tacos and eating the goods inside. In honor of #tacotuesday, I wanted to reenact that for you all.
So I’ve included a picture below of me using a soft shell as a mask…
HA! Juuuust kidding 🙂
I love a good taco. And, I thought to myself, what if instead of opening up my tortillas, what if I put it all in a bowl with delicious and fresh and crunchy ingredients? And thus, this taco salad was born.
You can totally customize it however you want. I generally just use whatever I have in: frozen corn in my freezer, black beans in my pantry, avocados always in my fruit basket. Add in some shredded Mexican cheese, some crumbled tortilla chips, or some red onion if you have some and are feeling it!
These make for a perfect, easy weeknight meal. I also love them for a quick and easy meal prep!
Ingredients for keto taco salad:
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
- green leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado
- black beans
- corn kernels
- sour cream
How to make low carb taco salad:
Brown the beef in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the taco seasoning and mix until completely coated. Remove from heat.
Divide the chopped lettuce into individual bowls. Add the cooked beef, avocado, black beans, and corn.
Top with avocado cubes, salsa and a drizzle of sour cream if desired.
More taco recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork Tacos + Fresh Pico de Gallo
- Taco Zucchini Boats (gluten free + low carb)
- Salmon Tacos + Homemade Salsa
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato + Black Bean Tacos
- Spicy Vegetarian Tofu Tacos
- Pepper Shrimp Tacos
- Barbecue Cauliflower Tacos
- Pan Seared Steak + Mango Tacos
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, cut in slices or cubes
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn
- sour cream
- Brown the beef in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the taco seasoning and mix until completely coated. Remove from heat.
- Divide the chopped lettuce into individual bowls.
- Add the cooked beef, avocado, black beans, and corn.
- Serve with salsa and a drizzle of sour cream if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 99mg
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24.1g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Protein: 41.7g
- Cholesterol: 101mg