Tofu tacos are going to be your new favorite family dinner! Whether you’re making these for #meatlessmonday or #tacotuesday, tofu tacos are loaded with fun and flavor!
I’m always looking for new ways to use tofu. Undoubtedly, I always have a block in my fridge because I buy it whenever I’m in a “we need to eat more vegetarian” mood.
I love tofu cubes, especially when they’re glazed with a sweet soy sauce but it’s fun to switch it up. This recipe is amazing because the tofu is simply crumbled and thrown into a pan with minimal prep.
I know tofu isn’t a traditional taco filling but hear me out! It’s fluffy but tofu has this amazing way to take on any flavor you put alongside it. It’s a blank canvas, really. Sautéing the crumbles gives it a nice crisp to and you can load it up with peppers, onions, salsa, and cilantro.
I love how the spicy tofu crumbles compliment the creamy goat cheese. Plus it’s loaded up with flavor and you can customize it with your favorite toppings.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Super simple to make on the stovetop
- Comes together in under 30 minutes
- Loaded with spice and flavor
- Easy to customize
- Fun new way to use tofu!
Ingredients for Tofu Tacos
Bell Pepper. I love doing a pepper and onion combo in my tacos but you can leave this out or sub in your favorite veggies!
Oil. Use some olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, butter or your favorite cooking oil!
Tofu. This is why you’re here! I always buy extra-firm tofu and in all honestly have never bought any other kind of tofu. I’m sure it works?
Garlic. Mm, always some garlic!!
Spices. I’m talking chili Powder, cumin, and salt. The spices are what bring this tofu taco recipe to life!
Red Onion. I love using some raw onion here but if you prefer, you can sauté them with the bell pepper.
Goat Cheese. I tend to always have some goat cheese in the fridge but you could use some queso fresco or cotija!
Tortillas. Any kind you like! I always go for Mission bran low carb tortillas but you could try almond flour tortillas, corn tortillas, hard shell, whatever you like!
Cilantro. I’m a big cilantro gal but leave it out if you’re not into it.
Salsa. For some extra saucy topping fun.
How to Make Spicy Vegetarian Tofu Tacos!
Sauté the bell pepper strips in olive oil over medium high heat. Continue to cook until reduced and softened. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and set aside.
Add crumbled tofu to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until it’s warmed through and browns up a bit, about 4 minutes. You can add in an additional tablespoon of oil if needed.
Then, add the chili powder, cumin, and sea salt and mix until the tofu is completely coated with the spices.
On each tortilla, scoop tofu mixture. Top with the peppers, onion, goat cheese and serve with salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro!
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 oz. tofu (extra firm, drained and excess water squeezed out using tea towel or cheese cloth)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 red onion, cut in thin strips
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 4 of your favorite tortillas
- handful cilantro
- salsa (optional for serving)
- Sauté the bell pepper strips in olive oil over medium high heat.
- Continue to cook until reduced and softened, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers to a bowl.
- Add crumbled tofu to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until things brown up, about 4 minutes.
- Add an additional tablespoon of oil if needed.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt.
- On each tortilla, scoop tofu mixture.
- Top with the sautéd peppers, sliced onion, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Serve with salsa and chopped cilantro!
Food photography by Erin at The Almond Eater.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 89mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 20mg