Chocolate baked oats are about to win breakfast.
Once you have chocolate baked oats for breakfast, you won’t be able to stop having chocolate oats for breakfast. I mean, it’s basically like having dessert first thing in the morning.
I made this for my kids. They are the best taste testers because they truly will never eat anything that their tastebuds aren’t 95% on board with.
Welp, one child gave it 12,000 stars which on a scale of 0 to 5 stars, 12,000 stars is pretty damn good 🙂 The other child said it was amazing and called it chocolate cake and asked for another. So all around our house, this recipe for chocolate baked oats got rave reviews.
Aside from the deliciousness of these oats, the best part is it bakes in only 1 minute in the microwave. For those early mornings and those low energy mornings, you can’t beat a 1 minute breakfast!
Chocolate Baked Oats Ingredients
Oats. I use gluten free old fashioned rolled oats and would recommend a similar kind of traditional oat. Quick oats or steel cut oats would probably change the consistency of this baked oatmeal and wouldn’t recommend swapping them in.
Chocolate chips. This is going to give the baked oats lots of chocolatey flavor! I put a lot on top as well to really hit these chocolate baked oats out of the park!
Agave nectar. I use agave nectar since that’s what I have in my pantry but you can also use honey or maple syrup if you prefer!
Milk. I used oat milk since that’s what I have in my fridge but any kind of milk would work! Dairy milk, almond milk or even coconut milk would work.
Cocoa powder. This is going to make this chocolate baked oats chocolate! Just one tablespoon is all you need.
Egg. I used a regular egg but you can also sub in a vegan egg, flax egg, or your favorite egg substitute.
Baking powder. This is going to give these chocolate baked oats lots of delicious fluff!
Salt. This is going to bring out all the delicious chocolatey sweetness and create some baked oatmeal magic.
How to Make Chocolate Baked Oats
- Blend. Place the oats, chocolate chips, agave, milk, cocoa, egg, baking powder, and salt in a blender. Blend on high until the ingredients are combined. If you have a bigger blender you may need to take a break to scrape down the sides to make sure it is blending evenly.
- Ramekin. Spray a ramekin or small bowl with cooking spray and pour the oat mixture into the ramekin.
- Microwave. Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute. I personally like it a bit more moist so I go for 45 seconds but if you like it full fluff go for a longer cook time with 1 minute.
- Enjoy! Top with additional chocolate chips and enjoy!
Can I make this in the oven?
Absolutely! I love how quickly this comes together in the microwave but you can definitely make this in the oven. Bake it at 350F for 20 – 25 minutes.
Ways to make this your own
Switch the chips. I love using chocolate chips both in this recipe but also as a topper once its done baking. Try white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or even little pieces of cut up candy bars!
Add sprinkles. I mean, sprinkles are always a good idea, no? They can add a really fun seasonal flair to the oatmeal.
Top with ice cream. Make these for dessert and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Top with yogurt. If you don’t quite want to go with the ice cream because it’s morning and you’re having this for breakfast, go for a scoop of yogurt! It adds such a delicious creaminess to pair with this chocolatey baked oats.
Scoop of peanut butter. Who doesn’t love chocolate and peanut butter? It’s a match made in heaven! Instead of adding the chocolate chips on top (or in addition to) add a scoop of your favorite peanut butter and swirl it in!
Fruit! Slice up some banana, fresh strawberries, or raspberries to serve on top or alongside this chocolate baked oatmeal!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips + more for topping
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the oats, chocolate chips, agave, milk, cocoa, egg, baking powder, and salt in a blender.
- Blend on high until the ingredients are combined.
- Spray a ramekin or small bowl with cooking spray and pour the oat mixture into the ramekin.
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Top with additional chocolate chips and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 ramekin
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 45.1g
- Sodium: 677mg
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 66.5g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Cholesterol: 171mg