Kale salad has been on repeat in our home – a sentence I never thought I’d say!
I thought kale would be something I’d just trudge through, eating it more for its health benefits then my actual taste for it. Turns out, I like it but it was a learn to love kinda thing. Where the learning involves a lot of avocados and toasted pine nuts 🙂
This is the perfect starter kale salad for anyone. Pretty simple to make too. There are two keys to this recipe: 1) letting the kale sit for 5 minutes in the lemon juice, and 2) finding avocados that are very soft but not overripe. I know, the avocado game can be frustrating. I buy probably 5 avocados every week and we seem to wait all week to eat them. Then every single one of them ends up getting ripe on the same day and then we eat avocados endlessly until they’re gone. The struggle is real, people.
Why you’ll love it
Kale salad with creamy avocado and lemon juice is my favorite salad of all time because it is both delicious and nutritious.
Amazing flavor and texture! The kale provides a crisp and slightly bitter flavor, while the creamy avocado adds richness and a smooth texture. The lemon juice provides a tangy and bright flavor that balances the flavors of the other ingredients and helps to soften the kale.
It’s nutritious! Additionally, kale is a nutrient-dense leafy green that provides a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making this salad a nutritious option. The avocado also adds healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, making it a filling and satisfying dish.
So simple! This salad comes together so quickly and easy to use as a base next to some protein or stands alone perfectly!
Ingredients for Lemon & Avocado Kale Salad
Use these ingredients for a flavorful and nutritious kale avocado salad.
- Kale is a superfood that is high in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins, making it a healthy and tasty addition to any meal. By de-stemming and finely chopping the kale, it becomes easier to eat and its flavors are better distributed throughout the salad.
- Lemon juice adds a tangy and bright flavor to the dish and also helps to soften and tenderize the kale.
- Extra virgin olive oil adds richness and helps to coat the kale, making it easier to digest.
- The salt brings out the flavors of the other ingredients and balances the overall taste of the dish.
- The ripe avocados add creaminess and healthy fats, making the salad more satisfying and filling.
- The toasted pine nuts add crunch and nutty flavor, putting this simple salad over the top!
How to Make a Lemon & Avocado Kale Salad:
Chop your kale pretty fine. I like to do one leaf at a time, otherwise things get a little overwhelming. Place chopped kale in a large bowl.
Then squeeze the lemon and strain the juice onto the kale. Mix it up so the kale is really coated in lemon. Allow it to sit while you assemble the rest of the salad, about 5 minutes. In my opinion, this step is KEY.
Cut your avocados into chunks and toast the pine nuts. Combine all the ingredients into the bowl, reserving some pine nuts for the top.
Use a spatula to kind of smush the avocados and bit, but still leave it chunky.
Place the salads in their bowls and top with extra pine nuts.
How to Store Leftover Salad
To be honest, I don’t love keeping leftovers of this salad because the avocado is smushed throughout the kale and avocado can brown over time making for less appealing leftovers. If you do have leftover kale salad, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Kale is pretty hearty so leftover kale salad can last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator but keep those browning avocados in mind!
Lemon and Avocado Kale Salad
Kale salad never tasted so good! This salad is loaded with creamy avocado, bright lemon, and toasted pine nuts. This salad will be on repeat!
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1/2 – 1 lemon, juiced and strained (amount depends on size and juiciness)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Chop your kale pretty fine. I like to do one leaf at a time, otherwise things get a little overwhelming. Place chopped kale in a large bowl.
2. Then squeeze the lemon and strain the juice onto the kale. Mix it up so the kale is really coated in lemon. Allow it to sit while you assemble the rest of the salad, about 5 minutes. In my opinion, this step is KEY.
3. Cut your avocados into chunks and toast the pine nuts. Combine all the ingredients into the bowl, reserving some pine nuts for the top.
4. Use a spatula to kind of smush the avocados and bit, but still leave it chunky.
5. Place the salads in their bowls and top with extra pine nuts.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 547
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 339mg
- Fat: 48g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 38g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 9g
Easy as pie! Hope you’re all having a great week!! xo
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe