Banana mug cake is going to be your new favorite dessert to make when you have an extra spotty banana. It’s only six ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to prep and bake in the microwave.
Do you ever make something and you think, “well this is dangerously easy to make.” You mix it all up, you pop it in the microwave. From beginning to end the whole shebang takes less than 5 minutes.
If you like banana bread and fluffy cake, this easy mug cake is for you!
Look for your new favorite recipe in my Ultimate List of Chocolate Desserts: 30+ Ideas! I have so many favorites!!
What is a banana mug cake?
A banana mug cake is a single serving cake typically made in the microwave. Typically banana mug cake is moist and tender with a sweet, banana flavor.
If the recipe includes other ingredients, such as nuts or chocolate chips, these will also contribute to the flavor and texture of the cake. It’s a quick and easy way to make a sweet treat that’s ready in just a few minutes.
Why You’ll love this Recipe
- So Easy! Making a banana mug cake is a quick and easy dessert that you can make in just a few minutes. You only need a microwave and a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry!
- Customize it! You can add different ingredients to your banana mug cake to make it your own. In this recipe we are adding chocolate chips but feel free to add in nuts, dried fruit, or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Healthier Alternative: Compared to traditional cakes and baked goods, a banana mug cake is a healthier option as it typically contains less sugar and fat. Additionally, the use of ripe bananas in the recipe adds natural sweetness and provides a good source of potassium.
Excuses to Make and Eat this Cake!
If you’re looking for an excuse to make this cake, I have a whole list of health benefits so you can cheers to good health with each delicious bite. Bananas are great for:
- Heart health: Bananas are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps to regulate heart function and lower blood pressure.
- Digestive health: Bananas are high in fiber, which can help to promote regular bowel movements and prevent constipation.
- Energy boost: Bananas are a good source of carbohydrates, which can provide a quick burst of energy.
- Vitamin and minerals: Bananas are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese.
- Brain health: Some studies have suggested that the potassium found in bananas may be beneficial for brain function.
- Bone health: The minerals in bananas, such as potassium and calcium, may help to strengthen bones.
You’re welcome. Eat the banana mug cake!!
Ingredients and substitutions
Banana. We just need half a banana for this recipe. The riper the banana, the better! Once you mash it, it’ll end up being about 2 tablespoons of mashed banana.
Egg. Just one! I haven’t tested this recipe with an egg replacer so if you do any experimenting with an egg-free option, let me know how it goes!
Coconut Sugar. I’ve tried this with a sticky sweetener (agave nectar) and have found granular sweetener works best. My favorite is coconut sugar, but another granular sweetener should probably work.
Almond Flour. I always go with blanched almond flour and haven’t tested it with other flours so let me know in the comments if you do any experimenting!
Baking Powder. For some fluff!
Chocolate Chips. You can really customize whatever you want to fold into this mug cake. Walnuts or peanut butter chips would be delish!
How to make this 3-Minute Cake:
It’s so simple and you make it all in your mug! Mash the banana in your mug. Use a small whisk to whisk in the egg and coconut sugar.
Then, add the almond flour and baking powder. Whisk again until combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips, sprinkle some more on top and then microwave. I microwaved mine for 1 minute and 30 seconds. This made for a light and fluffy yet moist and tender mug cake.
Want to step it up with more chocolate? Drizzle some on top! Check out my post How to Melt Chocolate Chips!
Recipe Success Tips
- Mix well: Thoroughly mix all the ingredients to ensure that the batter is well combined and free of clumps.
- Microwave for the right time: Keep an eye on it and stop the microwave when the cake has risen and is set in the middle. Overcooking can lead to a dry, tough cake.
- Experiment with flavors: Feel free to add different flavors to your mug cake such as cocoa powder, spices, or even a teaspoon of instant coffee. Get creative and have fun with it!
More mug cake recipes
- Microwave Pumpkin Mug Cake
- 1-Min Quickie Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
- Microwave Funfetti Mug Cake
- One Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 – 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Mash the banana in a mug.
- Add the egg and coconut sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the almond flour and baking powder. Mix again until combined.
- Fold in most of the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle a couple of the chocolate chips on top.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Cool for a minute or two an enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 mug cake
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 27.4g
- Sodium: 8mg
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33.4g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg