Lately I’ve been loving overnight oats. But, I’m down for anything that makes my mornings go more smoothly.
It’s so fun to play around with different flavors, I feel like overnight oats are so customizable and you really can’t go wrong.
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are a mixture of rolled oats with liquid and other mix-ins to add sweetness and flavor. You allow the oat mixture to sit in the fridge for at least two hours or, preferably, overnight. And, viola! Easy breakfast in the morning prepped ahead for you!
Why you’ll love overnight oatmeal:
- It’s so simple to prep! Five minutes, my friends! Plus you just throw everything in a jar, pop it in your fridge, and forget it even happened until the next day. Man, I love easy.
- It’s customizable! Don’t love carrots? Try mashed bananas. Don’t want walnuts? Try some raisins or chocolate chips! Plus you can really add in whatever you want! Try adding a tablespoon or two of chia seeds or hemp hearts!
- It feels super indulgent! I’m talking rich carrot cake, decadent chocolate, sweet banana bread. You can really make your overnight oats take on flavors of your favorite sweet treat so it’s the perfect way to start the day!
Ingredients for carrot cake overnight oats:
- Oats. You want to use old fashioned rolled oats.
- Oat Milk. Any milk works! You can use dairy milk, almond milk, whatever you like! I’ve been obsessed with oat milk lately, so I went with that!
- Carrots. I shredded my carrots on the finest, smallest carrot option. I think this is the key to this recipe. It gives the oats perfect carrot flavor without crunching through big chunks of carrot.
- Nuts. I used chopped walnuts, but pecans or even almonds would work!
- Agave Nectar. Any sweetener works here! You can use honey, maple syrup, or even a granular sweetener!
- Cinnamon. You need to add some cozy spice to this!
How to make carrot cake overnight oats:
It’s so simple to make carrot cake oats. Just put everything in the jar and shake! Chill them in the fridge overnight and enjoy your easy breakfast the next morning!
Should I eat overnight oatmeal hot or cold?
I typically eat it cold and they are delish. But! You can absolutely heat them up and eat them warm. I guess it depends on your personal preference.
More overnight oat recipes to try:
- Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Easy Banana Overnight Oats
- Overnight No-Oats – Three Ways
- Banana Bread Oat-less Oatmeal
- Vanilla Coconut Chia Pudding
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 1/2 cup old fashioned gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (honey or maple syrup also works)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the oats, milk, carrots, walnuts, agave, and cinnamon in a jar with a lid.
- Place the lid on the jar and shake.
- Chill the oats for at least 2 hours in the fridge but preferably overnight.
- Enjoy the next day, chilled and topped with chopped walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 1 jar
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 26.9g
- Sodium: 62mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 44.9g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg