Pepper Shell Tacos
Yo quiero Taco Bell. Guys. I like Mexican. Ilikeitalot. When I was a kid I used to order a soft shell taco from Taco Bell, open it up and only eat the insides. I was so ahead of my time with this low carb thing. Then I would proceed to bite out eye, nose and mouth holes and use that soft shell for a mask. Ha. But honestly, Mexican food just has that perfect combo of cheesy, spicy, mouth watering flavor that makes you eat until you only want to wear yoga pants for the rest of your life. Well, ok to be fair I use any excuse to wear yoga pants. But you know what I mean.
Jaryd and I thought it would be appropriate to just eat it allll the above pictures tacos. I mean we shared and all with the little cubs, but we pretty much put this away like whoa. I was happy when it was happening but now I’m not so sure it was the best idea. He’s a bad influence.
Pepper shells are where it’s at, people!! I even kept the stem on and it was a nice little tea cup of happiness. I kinda loved that they were no fuss. Just tacos in a shell, no wrapping and rewrapping.
Here’s how you make Pepper Shell Tacos:
Sauté the onions and sweet potato for about 5 minutes, until it just begins to soften. Then, add the meat and spices. Using your spatula, break up the meat so it is separated and brown.
When it has only a couple minutes left to cook, add the rinsed black beans. Stir everything to combine.
Cut the peppers in half.
Scoop out the seeds and rinse the insides.
Place them on a lined baking pan and fill them with the meat mixture.
Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and browned 🙂Print
Fun way to celebrate #tacotuesday but keep it low carb and gluten free with these Pepper Shell Tacos!! The sweet potato and black beans add a nice flavor!
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 – 6 red bell peppers
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1 avocado
- salsa and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Saute the onion and sweet potato in coconut oil over medium-high heat for about five minutes.
- Add the meat and seasoning, using your spatula to break up the meat.
- When the meat is almost cooked, add the beans and cook through.
- Cut the peppers in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and rinse the insides.
- Place the peppers on a lined baking pan and fill them with the meat mixture.
- Top with Mexican cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Serve with avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
Serving : Calories 494; Fat 23.4g (Sat 11.4g); Protein 36.9g; Carb 36.1g (net carb 26.4g); Fiber 9.7g; Sodium 637mg
Let me know how you like it!! xo
Save this for later!! Pin the image below!!