Homemade Brownie Brittle
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Brownie Brittle jumped off the shelf at the grocery store and magically landed in my hands. I don’t know how it happened 🤣
I saw a bag of Shiela G’s Brownie Brittle in the store and thought it would be a fun recipe to try to make my own homemade brownie brittle from scratch.
Some call them brownie crisps, some call them brownie brittle, or crispy brownie cookies. Usually if you throw some or all of those words in there, people will get the drift of what you’re talking about.
What is brownie brittle?
Brownie brittle is a store-bought treat consisting of a crisp, chocolatey brownie. They are a crunchy, almost cookie consistency, and come in different flavors.
There are mixes on the market for you to make your own crispy brownie cookies, but today I’m going to show you how to make brownie brittle from scratch with only a few simple ingredients.
The great thing about this recipe is they are naturally gluten free and refined sugar free!
Homemade Brownie Brittle Ingredients:
- Unsalted butter: I haven’t tested this recipe with substitutions for butter, so if you experiment at all, let me know how it goes! I think refined coconut oil or ghee would work, so if you’re in a pinch, give them a shot!
- Coconut sugar: gives it a nice, rich flavor. If you don’t have coconut sugar, another granular sugar should be fine to sub in here.
- Eggs: just two.
- Vanilla: a splash
- Almond flour: I always go for super fine blanched almond flour because it’s smooth and less hearty compared to an almond meal.
- Cocoa powder: because they’re brownies!!
- Baking powder
- Pecans: you can customize what nuts you use – walnuts would be fun!
- Chocolate chips: I used mini white chocolate chips, but any type of chip or candy would be fun! Think M&Ms, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, cut up Reese’s cups… ah the ways to customize this brownie brittle are endless!
How to make Brownie Brittle from scratch:
Mix. First we’re going to combine all the ingredients in a bowl (minus the nuts and chocolate chips) and mix it all together.
Spread. Then, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the batter out onto the sheet. Use a rubber spatula to spread it out in a thin layer in an oval or rectangle shape.
The thinner you spread it, the crispier it gets. I made mine so it was super crispy on the outside but fudgey in the center. I thought it was the perfect mix, but as I said if you want all the pieces crispy, make sure to spread it out evenly.
Bake. Bake for about 15 minutes. Give it a touch test to see the texture. It should be a crisp, cookie texture and no fingerprint indent should be left when you touch it.
Cool. Allow the brownie brittle to cool on the pan and come to room temperature before you cut into it. Allowing it to cool on the pan will allow it to crisp up further and achieve that satisfying brittle texture.
Cut. I cut mine into random triangular shapes, but you can cut them into squares or bite sized pieces!
How to store this crispy brownie bark:
Brownie brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week. After that, transfer it to the fridge or freezer to store for longer.
More brownie recipes you’ll love:
- Fudgey Cosmic Brownies
- Fudgey Gluten Free Brownies
- Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (gluten free)
- Gluten Free Peppermint Brownie Skillet
- Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Chocolate Walnut Avocado Brownie Cookies
- Gluten Free Tahini Brownies
- Healthy Avocado Brownies
Crunchy and fudgey brownie bark can be easily made at home. This Brownie Brittle recipe makes fun brownie crisps form scratch.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup mini white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in a large bowl in the microwave.
- Add the coconut sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Whisk again until combined.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter onto the baking sheet and spread it into a thin layer. The thinner you spread it, the more crisp the brownie brittle will get.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and mini chips.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes.
- Allow the brownie brittle to cool on the baking sheet and come to room temperature.
- Cut the brownie brittle into triangles or square pieces and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2 pieces
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 28.7g
- Sodium: 177mg
- Fat: 16.8g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 30.6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
Keywords: brownie brittle, homemade brownie brittle, brownie brittle recipe, brownie brittle from scratch