Chocolate Covered Banana Pops
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When we first moved to California we took a bike ride to Balboa Island. At a red light, there was this lady who was finishing up a run and we got talking. Naturally our “bahh we just moved here” came out within the first sentence and if I remember nothing else from the conversation, I remember she told us we HAD to have a chocolate covered banana once we crossed the bridge to Balboa.
Hm, hi ok we will.
We found the first chocolate covered banana stand and indulged. They were so fun. They cover the entire banana with a silky chocolatey coating and THEN you get to choose your toppings from nuts to sprinkles to butterscotch, the possibilities seemed endless.
We got one of each.
Banana popsicles also remind me of this kiddie treat I used to make for Caleb when he was a baby. At the time I couldn’t quite get the method right mainly because of the sheer desperation of the whole event. But, I believe it went down something like this: I had a million (exaggeration) frozen bananas in my freezer and in one of those panicky witching hour moments, I grabbed one for him to chew on.
Post-facto I remember trying to shove a popsicle stick in there so his little hands wouldn’t freeze only for the frozen popsicle to split in two. NOW I know the secret. Popsicle stick first, THEN freeze.
I think these can be a really fun and healthy treat for the kids this summer! The chocolate covering is totally optional, and you can keep it more minimal and just drizzle some peanut butter and then freeze it.
Topping ideas for frozen banana pops:
- mini chocolate chips
- peanut butter drizzle
- chopped nuts
- crushed butterscotch or butterfinger
- crumbled Reeses cups
How to make frozen banana pops:
First, get some ripe bananas. Once my bananas get spotty, I usually freeze them for smoothies anyway (or make five loaves of banana bread) so wait for a batch of bananas that are getting perfectly ripe. Ripe bananas will make sure these pops are sweet!
Cut each banana in half and gently insert the popsicle stick into the bottom. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the banana popsicle onto the parchment paper.
If you want them plain, pop them in the freezer as is. If you want something a little more jazzy, dip the tops of the bananas into melted chocolate/coconut oil mixer. HOT TIP: I mix the chocolate and coconut oil in a cup so I can dip the banana straight into the cup instead of maneuvering it in some sort of bowl.
Sprinkle with whatever you want!
I like to place a cooling rack on top of the pan/parchment paper so when you place the chocolate covered bananas on it, the chocolate drips down and catches on the parchment paper.
Freeze for at least an hour sand store in the freezer until you’re ready to eat!
Chocolate Covered Banana Pops are a healthy summer treat! Perfect to make with your kids, top with your favorite sprinkles, and stash in your freezer!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- Cut each banana in half and gently insert the popsicle stick into the bottom.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the banana popsicle onto the parchment paper.
- If you want them plain, pop them in the freezer as is.
- If you are coating them with chocolate, place a cooling rack on top of the parchment paper lined baking sheet. This will allow the chocolate to drip down to the parchment paper instead of making a big chocolate blob when you freeze them.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a cup and stir in the coconut oil until smooth. I like using a cup because it makes it easier to dip the banana pops and coat them with chocolate.
- Sprinkle the chocolate covered bananas with sprinkles, or whatever you’re sprinkling!
- Freeze for at least an hour sand store in the freezer until you’re ready to eat!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 11.2g
- Sodium: 1mg
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18.5g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: bananas, banana recipes, banana popsicles, banana pops, chocolate banana pops, chocolate coated bananas, chocolate covered bananas, frozen banana pops