Orange Ginger Carrot Soup
This week has been unbearable for me. UNBEARABLE. I am soo sick. It’s that kind of sick that just. doesn’t. go. away. Sad face. Whimper. And I have these two sick kids and everyone is just so cranky, and feeling icky. I’m ready for next week to start so we can just press the reset button and start over again. Ok, bitch fest over.
Anyway, I had some chicken noodle soup stashed in the freezer and after we blew through that, I needed something warm and nutritious pumping through my veins. So, I came up with this orange, carrot, and pear soup. It has ginger, orange, broth, all things that I can only hope will heal me immediately. I made this huge pot and ate three bowls midday. I neeeeed to feel better.
To add salt to the wound, we’ve been having issues with our heater… talk about double whammy sucker punches. I was really really motivated to make something to keep us warm. Look at me, just a little multi-tasker, tasking along 🙂
This soup was everything I had hoped it would be and more. My main goal in making this soup was to have carrot and ginger in it, but it kind of… evolved. At first there was some orange thrown in, then some pear. I thought about adding some spice as well but I didn’t want anyone to go into shock with the number of flavors happening here. Plus, my nose is a bit stuffed (aka, I can’t breathe aaatt all) so I didn’t trust myself to properly gauge an appropriate amount of chili powder. Maybe next time 🙂
So let’s talk nutrition for uno momento… one serving of this soup has 208% of your daily value of vitamin A. Um? You’re welcome. Plus 32% vitamin C. I’m feeling healthier already! This soup is sooo delish, nutrient rich, and vegan!! See, you can impress all your vegan friends!
I loved using the pear to sweeten it a bit and the orange adds such a nice, refreshing twang (word?!). Plus, I munched on some extra orange wedges while I made this soup and I felt an immediate, fleeting moment of health.
So here’s this easy peasy Orange Ginger Carrot Soup:
In a large pot, over medium heat, place the coconut oil, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions are softened and lightened browned. Zest the orange and set the zest aside. Then, peel the orange and coarsely cut it into pieces, making sure there are no seeds.
Add cut up orange, pear, and ginger to the pot. Cook on high for another 5 – 10 minutes, until the carrots are easily pierced with a fork. Pour the contents into a blender. If you’re using a food processor, you may need to do this step in increments. Blend until smooth. Keep warm on the stove top until you’re ready to serve.
Place the soup in bowls and top with roasted chickpeas, some mint, a drizzle of coconut cream, and a lime wedge.
The only soup you need this winter is this Orange Ginger Carrot Soup! It’s refreshing and sweet and keeps you warm on these chilly nights! It’s vegan and packed with nourishing, wholesome ingredients you can feel good about.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4.5 cups carrots, chopped (about 1.5 pounds)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 orange, peeled after zesting and coarsed chopped
- 1 pear, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add the oil, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions soften and are light brown.
- Add chopped carrots, vegetable stock, and water. Bring to a boil and continue to cook as you prep your other ingredients.
- Zest the orange and set the zest aside.
- Peel the orange and coarsely cut it into pieces, making sure there are no seeds.
- Add cut up orange, pear, and ginger to the pot.
- Cook on high for another 5 – 10 minutes, until the carrots are easily pierced with a fork.
- Pour the contents into a blender.
- If you’re using a food processor, you may need to do this step in increments.
- Blend until smooth.
- Keep warm on the stove top until you’re ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with orange zest and fresh thyme.
- Per serving: Calories 85; Fat 3.5g (Sat 2.9g); Protein 1.1g; Carb 13.7g (net carbs 10.6g); Fiber 3.1g; Sodium 46mg
- Serving Size: 8
Hope this soup helps all my sickies out there!! Enjoy!! xo