I’ve been loving soups this winter, especially ones made in my Instant Pot! They are so simple to whip together and feel really comforting and indulgent.
This soup is perfect for the whole family! It’s creamy and rich, and you can totally customize the toppings you put on top! Make a loaded cauliflower soup with some crumbled bacon, maybe a dollop sour cream or crumbled blue cheese.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup:
You only need a few ingredients! It’s soup-er (sorry I had to) simple and delish!!
- Avocado Oil – you can really use any kind of oil here. Olive oil, coconut oil or even butter works great!
- Onion – adds such a nice onion-y flavor 🙂
- Garlic – always garlic!
- Cauliflower – the star of the show!! It is cauliflower soup, after all!
- Vegetable Broth – the base of this recipe that makes it all soupy!
- Whole Milk – you can use any milk here. I go for whole milk but you can sub in oat milk, coconut oil, 1%, whatever you have on hand!
- Salt – to bring out all that flavor!
- Cheddar Cheese – I give you measurements for cheddar cheese, but you really need to measure that with your heart!
How to make Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup:
Sauté. I like to sauté the onions for about 10 minutes just to give some extra flavor to the soup.
Add it all in. After you’re done sautéing the onions, add all the ingredients (except the cheese) to the Instant Pot. It’s one of those dump recipes where you just dump everything into the pot. I love it.
Pressure Cook. Set the Instant Pot to high for 10 minutes. Dat’s it.
Blend. I used a handheld immersion blender to blend the soup up into a creamy cauliflower soup, but you can transfer the soup to a blender or even a food processor if that’s all you have.
Fold. Once the soup is nice and blended, we’re going to fold in the cheese.
Serve. I served mine with some sautéd garlic and sage leaves. Add an extra drizzle of olive oil, some toasty bread, and enjoy!
Make this soup in the slow cooker:
No pre-sautéing, just put the oil, onion, cauliflower, onion, garlic, vegetable broth and salt into the slow cooker and heat on high for 3 – 4 hours.
Blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender to make a creamy soup.
Stir in the milk, cheese, garnish, serve and enjoy!
Make this soup on the stovetop:
Place the oil, onions and garlic on a large pot and sauté over medium-high heat until the onions begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
Add the cauliflower, vegetable broth, and salt to the pot and bring to a rolling boil. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork.
Blend with an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor and blend until creamy.
Stir in the milk and cheese. Garnish, serve and enjoy!
Ideas for Dietary Restrictions and Preferences:
- Gluten Free – This soup is naturally gluten and grain free!
- Dairy Free – This soup calls for milk and cheddar cheese. If you need some a dairy free cauliflower soup, try subbing in coconut milk or your favorite creamy, non-dairy milk. You can leave out the cheese or try some nutritional yeast or dairy free cheese!
- Low Carb/ Keto – Because it’s loaded with low carb cauliflower, milk, and cheese, this is a great low carb and keto cauliflower soup!
- Vegetarian – You’re good to go here! I’m using vegetable broth, so as long as you do the same, this makes for a delicious vegetarian cauliflower soup!
- Vegan – Read the instructions to make it dairy free and if you follow those, the recipe will become a tasty vegan cauliflower soup! Make sure to use vegetable broth and you’re good to go!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 onion (about 2 cups roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (plus more if you want to sauté some to serve on top)
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut in florets (about 5 cups florets)
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 leaves sage, roughly chopped
In the Instant Pot:
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté mode and add the avocado oil and onions. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cauliflower florets, vegetable broth, and salt to the instant pot.
- Set it to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the content to a blender and blend until creamed together.
- Stir in the milk and cheese.
- For garnish, I like to sauté some extra minced garlic and chopped sage with a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Divide soup into bowls. Drizzle with some oil and top with sautéd garlic and sage.
In the slow cooker:
- Put the oil, onion, cauliflower, onion, garlic, vegetable broth and salt into the slow cooker and heat on high for 3 – 4 hours.
- Blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender to make a creamy soup.
- Stir in the milk, cheese, garnish, serve and enjoy!
On the stovetop:
- Place the oil, onions and garlic on a large pot and sauté over medium-high heat until the onions begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, vegetable broth, and salt to the pot and bring to a rolling boil.
- Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork.
- Blend with an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor and blend until creamy.
- Stir in the milk and cheese. Garnish, serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Sodium: 790mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7.4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 8.9g
- Cholesterol: 24mg