Sometimes hot chocolate is perfect just the way it is. It’s a creamy, chocolatey hug in a mug. Sometimes you want something with a wee bit more pizzazz. This Mexican Hot Chocolate has its party pants on people!! It’s chocolate-y sweet but has a kick that gets you bobbing your head like yeah.
A wicka-wicka-what?!! You read that right. Don’t judge! I know for a fact that you’ve danced your heart out to that song at least once. Er, back to the drink.
The fun thing about this recipe is I’m adding some coffee to the base instead of a strictly milk base. I’m someone that loves coffee based drinks but you can absolutely sub all milk instead of coffee. You really can’t go wrong!
If you love chocolate you have to check out my roundup of 50+ Gluten Free Dessert Recipes. You’ll find my favorites from Gluten Free Peanut Butter Brownies, Mint Chocolate Smoothie, and Rich & Decadent Chocolate Banana Bread using Almond Flour.
Ingredients to Gather
- heavy whipping cream
- agave nectar (or favorite sweetener)
- coffee (16 ounces)
- oat milk (or preferred milk)
- cocoa powder
- chili powder
- chocolate drizzle (optional)
- sea salt for topping (optional)
How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate
Use an electric mixer to whip your coconut cream. Right when the cream started to firm up and become whipped cream, add the agave (or preferred sweetener) and continue until whip cream is formed. Set aside. Read this blog post for a tutorial on how to make coconut whipped cream!
Brew two cups of coffee and place it in a a high powered blender with your cocoa, agave, cinnamon, chili powder, and salt.
Pour it into your individual mugs. If it needs additional warming, you can heat it on the stovetop over medium-high heat, whisking frequently for about 5 minutes or in the microwave for about one minute. Top each mocha with a generous dollop of the whip. I topped my whip with a chocolate drizzle and some cinnamon and chili sprinkle, but that’s up to you!
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or favorite sweetener)
- 2 cups coffee (16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup oat milk (or preferred milk)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (honey or maple syrup also works)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of sea salt
- chocolate drizzle (optional)
- flakey salt for topping (optional)
- Use an electric mixer to whip your cream for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Right when the cream started to firm up and become whipped, add the agave (or preferred sweetener) and continue until whip cream is formed. Set aside.
- Brew two cups of coffee and place it in a mason jar with your cocoa, agave, cinnamon, chili powder, and salt. Shake and combine everything.
- Alternatively you can put it all in a pot on the stovetop and heat until warmed through.
- Pour into your individual mugs and top with a generous dollop of the whip.
- Drizzle with some chocolate syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and some flakey salt.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 198mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
Let me know how you like it!! xo