It’s Sunday Funday folks!! Sunday is obviously my second favorite day of the weekend. It takes backseat mainly because of the impending sense that a new week is upon us and we have to wait another five whole days until the next weekend.
Saturday is carefree and full of possibilities. Sunday I feel a little more sense of urgency to get in everything I was supposed to accomplish over the weekend. I like to counteract this “whomp whomp” feeling by calling it Sunday Funday and trying to do a little something special as one last weekend hurrah. It’s my way of properly bidding the weekend a proper farewell.
This Sunday? I concocted something I like to call Mocha Mexicana. Why Mexicana? One time I had a “Mexican Chocolate Scone” and the only difference really was a bit of spice. A bit of fiesta fire that complimented the sweet chocolate.
Sometimes hot chocolate is perfect just the way it is. Sometimes you want something with a wee bit more pizzazz. This hot cocoa has its party pants on people!! It’s chocolate-y sweet but has a kick that gets you bobbing your head like yeah.
A wicka-wicka-what?!! You read that right. Don’t judge! I know for a fact that you’ve danced your heart out to that song at least once. Er, back to the mocha! Aside from the chocolate-y goodness, it’s coffee based and puts a nice pep in ya step.
Here’s what you do:
Use an electric mixer to whip your cream. Right when the cream started to firm up and become whipped cream. add the agave (or preferred sweetener) and continue until whip cream is formed. Set aside.
If you want to try something new and fun , dairy free and paleo, check out this whip from these Mini S’mores Cups and use that to to your cocoa!
Brew two cups of coffee and place it in a mason jar with your cocoa, agave, cinnamon, chili powder, and salt. I like a mason jar because it’s easier to shake and combine everything compared to just stirring it.
Pour it into your individual mugs and top with a generous dollop of the whip. I topped my whip with a chocolate drizzle and some cinnamon and chili sprinkle, but that’s up to you!Print
The only hot chocolate recipe you’ll need all winter. Low carb + gluten free and perfect to warm you up with it gets chilly outside!
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or favorite sweetener)
- 2 cups coffee (16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or preferred milk)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (or favorite sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of sea salt
- chocolate drizzle (optional)
- sea salt for topping (optional)
- Use an electric mixer to whip your cream for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Right when the cream started to firm up and become whipped, add the agave (or preferred sweetener) and continue until whip cream is formed. Set aside.
- Brew two cups of coffee and place it in a mason jar with your cocoa, agave, cinnamon, chili powder, and salt.
- Shake and combine everything.
- Pour it into your individual mugs and top with a generous dollop of the whip.
- I topped my whip with a chocolate drizzle, some cinnamon, chili sprinkle, and sea salt.
Per serving: Calories 122; Fat 12.0g (Sat 7.4g); Protein 2.1g; Carb 4.6g (net carbs 2.3g); Fiber 2.3g; Sodium 141mg
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 198mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
Let me know how you like it!! xo