Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili
It’s chili season, my friends, and I am HERE for it. I’m all about the warm, hearty bowls to curl up with on the couch. To snuggle under a blanket with. To make a big ol’ pot for the big game. You know, the usual chilly fall cozy vibes.
When I was thinking about chili the other day, I realized two things. First, since I have this black bean and butternut squash sausage chili already on the blog, I wanted a vegetarian option for you guys that also felt super hearty and filling. Second, it’s pumpkin season and I have a pumpkin craving that I just cannot shake.
So, vegetarian pumpkin chili HAD to happen. Once it popped into my head, it just couldn’t NOT happen, you know?
I mentioned it to Allie who blogs at Miss Allie’s Kitchen and will be contributing some recipes here on The Toasted Pine Nut, too. She whipped up a batch and said her husband (also named Jared because I’m pretty sure she and I are soul sisters) ate TWO bowls and asked, “what meat is in here?”
Mwahahaaa literally tricking people into eating things that aren’t what they seem is one of my favorite past times. So, hearing this brought me much joy. But, the point is. This chili is husband approved.
But don’t freak about not getting enough protein, the chopped walnuts and black beans add an awesome plant-based protein punch. And, can we talk about how pretty the green and red peppers are? I couldn’t stop staring at them.
The pumpkin is a nice surprise. It not only adds a silky texture but also a depth of flavor that is so festive for fall.
Alright guys, check out the full recipe below. print it out. Save it forever. This will be a staple in your home this fall!Print
This Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili is hearty and delicious! The walnuts and black beans pack a protein punch while the pumpkin makes for a silky smooth chili.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups finely diced walnuts
- 1 15oz. can black beans, liquid included
- 1 15oz. can diced tomatoes, liquid included
- 1 15oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- Begin by heating the olive oil in a large stock pot or a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and peppers and sauté until soft, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt and black pepper and sauté for another 2-3 minutes to release the flavor.
- While the veggies cook, chop your walnuts, or pulse them in a food processor until finely diced.
- Add the walnuts, black beans, tomatoes, pumpkin puree and broth to the pot and stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Let this simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, with desired toppings like sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, or chopped cilantro.
BIG thank you to Allie from Miss Allie’s Kitchen for creating this delicious recipe and gorgeous images for us!! I love her work and couldn’t be more excited she’s creating some tasty dishes to share here too!
Hope you guys enjoy!! xo