This Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili is hearty and delicious! The walnuts and black beans pack a protein punch while the pumpkin makes for a silky smooth chili.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups finely diced walnuts
- 1 15oz. can black beans, liquid included
- 1 15oz. can diced tomatoes, liquid included
- 1 15oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- Begin by heating the olive oil in a large stock pot or a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and peppers and sauté until soft, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt and black pepper and sauté for another 2-3 minutes to release the flavor.
- While the veggies cook, chop your walnuts, or pulse them in a food processor until finely diced.
- Add the walnuts, black beans, tomatoes, pumpkin puree and broth to the pot and stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Let this simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, with desired toppings like sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, or chopped cilantro.