YOU GUYS. This is no joke. I’m not saying this was amazing, but THIS WAS AMAZING!!! Like, hands down the best chili I ever could have hoped for. In college, there was this pub called Porter’s. It was kind of my favorite spot for good beer and delicious food…
Every year the town would have a chili cook off and Porter’s was reigning champ. Any time I ever had chili, I would compare it against Porter’s. Oh, and don’t even get me started on Nachos. They threw their chili on top of their heaping mountain of nachos along with gooey cheese, guacamole, sour cream, um everything you could ever want. Hands down the best. If you are ever in Easton, Pennsylvania, def worth a visit.
Now that I’ve appropriately hyped Porter’s chili, let me just say… MOVE THE EFF OVER!!!
BAM. Boom. Whatever people are saying these days. New. best. chili. ever. I promise you, I would not say it if I didn’t mean it. Yes, Porter’s you should interpret this as a direct challenge.
So it’s all gloomy and whatnot on the east coast. My little street is basically a bumpy ice skating rink. My car is stuck in the ice. I am eagerly waiting for spring. This chili is so perfect for winter, perfect for fire-side sitting, and perfect to warm you from the inside. I’m talking spice people!! Spi to the izz ice people!! I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Here’s what you do:
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add butternut squash, onion and sausage. Cook until this begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle, and salt. Continue to cook, stirring often. Then add the water and bring to a simmer.
Cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the butternut squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans and peppers and keep at a simmer until slightly reduced.
Top with shredded cheddar, avocado, sour cream, and/or cilantro!
Butternut Squash Black Bean Sausage Chili
You love this hearty and cozy Butternut Squash Black Bean Sausage Chili! This is such an easy fall recipe and makes for delicious leftovers!!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 16 oz. sausage, cut in rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2.5 cups water
- 15 oz. (1 can) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz. (1 can) fire roasted peppers or tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add butternut squash, onion, and sausage, stirring often.
- Cook until onion begins to soften and things begin to brown, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle, salt, and water.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the butternut squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans and peppers and keep at a simmer until slightly reduced.
- Top with shredded cheddar, avocado, sour cream, and/or cilantro!
Per serving: Calories 417; Fat 27.3g (Sat 7.7g); Protein 20.4g; Carb 24.8g (net carbs 18.4g); Fiber 6.4g; Sodium 943mg
Want to save this for later? Pin the image below!!
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe