Vegan Lentil Bolognese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lately I’ve been eating a lot more vegetarian. I don’t know if it’s a summer thing or I’m just more open to it, but veggie-based meals have been on my mind.
Since my boys love pasta and red sauce and meat sauce, I thought it would be a fun to test out a meat-free bolognese sauce bulked up with lentils.
If you want a meaty bolognese, try this 10 minute recipe! I love using chickpea pasta or lentils, zoodles are also a great option, but use whatever pasta is your fave!
So, let’s jump into the recipe and make a tasty Vegan Lentil Bolognese! It’s hearty and filling, and I absolute love the flavor, so I can’t wait for you guys to try it!
Ingredients and substitutions for vegan bolognese
- Olive oil – if you want to use coconut oil or avocado oil, that works! Use whatever you have on hand!
- Seasonings – Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes!
- Cooked lentils – I love buying cooked lentils to make this recipe move that much quicker. But, if you want to make your own lentils you definitely can!
- Crushed tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
How to make vegan bolognese:
Add the olive oil to a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the olive oil is hot, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until translucent and slightly caramelized.
Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook for 2 additional minutes before adding the lentils, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for at least 20 minutes. Serve with pasta or veggie noodles of choice.
More savory vegan recipes to try:
- Scallion Pancakes (gluten free + vegan)
- Zucchini Chickpea Burgers
- “Cheesy” Queso
- Cashew Ranch Dip
- Vegan Scrambled Eggs
Vegan Bolognese is hearty and filling, loaded with lentils and veggies! This recipe is the perfect way to add more veggies to your meal!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz. tomato sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Once the olive oil is hot, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook for 2 additional minutes before adding the lentils, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve with pasta or veggie noodles of choice.
- BIG thank you to my friend Allie from Miss Allie’s Kitchen for creating this delicious recipe and taking these gorgeous images for us!! I love her work and couldn’t be more excited she’s creating some tasty dishes to share here too!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 522
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 2011mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 88.1g
- Fiber: 39.3g
- Protein: 32.6g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: vegan bolognese, lentil bolognese, lentil bolognese sauce, lentil bolognese vegan, lentil bolognese tasty, lentil bolognese with zoodles, lentil bolognese pasta, vegan spaghetti bolognese, vegan bolognese, vegan lentil bolognese, vegan bolognese recipe, vegan bolognese sauce, vegan spaghetti bolognese recipe, vegan lentil spaghetti bolognese, vegan pasta bolognese, healthy spaghetti bolognese, healthy bolognese, healthy lentil bolognese, vegetarian bolognese, vegetarian spaghetti bolognese, vegetarian lentil bolognese, vegetarian bolognese sauce, vegetarian pasta bolognese, easy spaghetti bolognese, easy spaghetti bolognese recipe, easy bolognese sauce, easy bolognese sauce, easy bolognese recipe, easy lentil bolognese, easy vegan bolognese, easy pasta bolognese