Apple cinnamon muffins have stolen my heart. Somewhere in the midst of all the pumpkin love I decided apple needed some time in the spotlight.
This recipe is based off my apple bread which is so delicious. The main difference is we’re using applesauce instead of a mashed banana to bump up the appleness.
Other apple recipes you’ll love:
- apple crumble bars
- caramel apple pie
- paleo apple cinnamon bread
- apple cider bundt cake
- slow cooker apple bbq pulled pork
- gluten free apple crisp
Why I love these Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins:
- low in sugar
- made with simple, wholesome ingredients
- they come together in one bowl
- you can make them into mini muffins
- Absolutely perfect as a breakfast or snack throughout the day. You could also put them in a bowl with some vanilla ice cream and a caramel drizzle and they make for a delicious dessert!
Ingredients to make Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins:
- peanut butter: any nut or seed butter works! I’ve tried it with almond butter and it’s delicious!
- agave nectar: honey or maple syrup is a good sub!
- blanched almond flour
- baking powder
- an apple
How to make gluten free apple muffins:
Whisk together the applesauce, eggs, peanut butter, agave, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
Add the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until combined.
Finally, you’ll fold in your apple. I’ve made this two ways. One time I cut the apple into chunks and folded it into the muffins, the other time I shredded the apple and folded them in.
Both ways were delicious. My favorite way is a mix of both. I recommend shredding and then putting a couple bigger chunks on top for some fun.
Divide the batter in the muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool and sprinkle with some additional cinnamon on top for fun.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (honey or maple syrup is also fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 apple (I used honeycrisp but whatever your favorite apple is!)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the applesauce, eggs, peanut butter, agave, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Whisk until combined.
- Shred 3/4 of your apple with the large hole side of your box grater.
- Then, cut the rest of the apple into cubes to put on top of your muffins. Alternatively, you could put some shredded pieces on top, or just shred the entire apple. I like to have some cubes to garnish the tops, but either way, the muffins are delicious.
- Fold the apple into the batter.
Line muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffins.
- Add the additional chunks or apple shreds on top of each muffin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with some additional cinnamon on top.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 109
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 117mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 41mg