One Skillet Peppers and Eggs
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I threw a pepper on my spiralizer one day and pretty much passed out with excitement. UM, YOU CAN SPIRALIZE PEPPERS. And they are absolutely stunning when you do so, AND you don’t have to deal with the whole chopping/cutting/ seeding biznass.
Ok, some seeds got into the spiralized peppers, but I really didn’t pay too much attention to it.
So then I threw my onion on there too. Let’s eliminate chopping completely, no?
Soo, I made a really yummy breakfast out of it that you guys are going to love as much as me. Because sometimes savory breakfasts and brunches are so necessary.
Ingredients for skillet peppers and eggs:
- bell peppers
- red onion
- avocado oil
- agave nectar
- sea salt
- pine nuts
- hemp hearts (optional but fun)
- basil for garnish
How to Spiralize Peppers and Onions:
I used one red pepper and one orange pepper. But, any pepper would work!
Place the pepper directly on the spiralizer, the bottom first near the hole and the top of the pepper (with the stem) near the handle. If the stem sticks out too much, you can cut it off to make it flat.
The blade you want is a single plane blade, not the one that makes noodles. Depending on your spiralizer, it should be one of the first blades (probably blade A). Turn the handle to spiralize the pepper.
If a few seeds get into your heap of spiralized peppers, you can either leave them or pick them out. I left them and didn’t even know they were in the dish. Spiralize the onion too.
How to make One Skillet Peppers and Eggs:
Use kitchen scissors to cut the pepper and onion strands a couple times. I underestimated the importance of this step but if you skip it, it is literally one giant never ending strand 🙂
Place the peppers and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat with avocado oil (extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil works too). Cook for about 7 minutes until things start to soften, tossing occasionally.
Add the agave and sea salt and cook an additional 3 – 5 minutes, things will be softened and slightly browned. Use a spoon to make 3 – 4 holes in the peppers.
Turn the heat to medium-low and crack the eggs into the holes. Cook the eggs until the clear part of the egg turns white. Sprinkle the with toasted pine nuts, basil, and hemp hearts!
More brunch recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Egg Bites
- Oven-Baked Eggs in a Muffin Tin
- Easy Instant Pot Deviled Eggs
- Roasted Red Pepper Sous Vide Egg Bites
- Pepper Ring Eggs
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Egg Bake
One skillet peppers and eggs is an easy and delicious brunch recipe! The peppers and onions are slightly sweet and the eggs are perfectly drippy!
- 4 bell peppers, spiralized with blade A
- 1/2 red onion, spiralized with blade A
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- pinch sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 4 leaves basil
- Spiralize your peppers and onion.
- Use kitchen scissors to cut the pepper and onion strands a couple times. I underestimated the importance of this step but if you skip it, it is literally one giant never ending strand 🙂
- Place the peppers and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat with avocado oil (olive oil or coconut oil works too).
- Cook for about 7 minutes until things start to soften, using tongs to toss occasionally.
- Add the agave and sea salt and cook an additional 3 – 5 minutes, the peppers and onion should be softened and slightly browned.
- Use a spoon to make 4 holes in the peppers. Turn the heat to medium-low and crack the eggs into the holes.
- Cook the eggs until the clear part of the egg turns white but the yolks are still runny.
- If needed, place under a broiler on low for 2 – 3 minutes to cook the top clear part of the egg but maintain the runny yolk.
- Sprinkle the with toasted pine nuts and hemp hearts and garnish with basil!
Photography by Erin at The Almond Eater
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the skillet
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 164mg
Keywords: peppers and eggs