I’m always looking to make one or two fun Valentine’s Day recipes. Whether it’s red velvet or heart shaped, I’m always looking for a fun way to celebrate with food.
I love adding a simple dusting of powdered sugar but you can get creative with different toppings. Try your favorite frosting on top! Spread it out in an even layer or pipe it into an outline around the heart. Sprinkle with your favorite festive sprinkles!
I cut out smaller, medium, and large hearts. If you only have one size that’s definitely ok! I wanted to show you all the different options so you can pick one or all sizes! The super duper mini ones are really fun for packing in lunches or even popping on a Valentine’s themed charcuterie board!
If you want to double down on your chocolate love, check out my Ultimate List of Chocolate Desserts: 30+ Ideas!!
These Chocolate Heart Cakes are
- simple to make
- soft and fluffy
- moist and chocolatey
- fun to customize with different toppings
- super kid and family friendly
- perfect for Valentine’s Day
Ingredients for Chocolate Heart Cakes
Coconut Sugar. I love using coconut sugar because it gives the cake a deep, rich flavor. If you don’t have coconut sugar you can sub in another granular sweetener.
Butter. I always go for unsalted butter because we’re adding some salt later on in the recipe. You can also sub in a vegan or dairy free butter if you prefer. Check out my favorite trick for How to Soften Butter!
Eggs. Just two! I haven’t tested it with vegan eggs or flax eggs, so if you do any experimenting, let me know how it goes!
Vanilla. Just a splash 🙂
Almond Flour. I love using blanched almond flour because it’s super fine and makes for a fluffy cake.
Cocoa Powder. To make this chocolate cake chocolate!
Baking Soda, Baking Powder & Salt. For some baking magic. This is going to give the cake some fluff and bring out the flavor.
Powdered Sugar. Just for dusting and sprinkling on top.
How to Make Chocolate Heart Cakes
Mix the wet ingredients
Cream together the coconut sugar and butter. I just used a handheld whisk but an electric mixer works too!
Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
Add in the dry ingredients
Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl.
Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until fully incorporated.
Spread the batter into an 8×8 inch square pan lined with parchment paper. The batter may be difficult to spread but it’ll eventually get there!
Bake for 15 minutes.
Cool & Cut
Allow the cake to cool completely. If you try to cookie cut it too soon while it’s warm, it may crumble apart.
Use heart shaped cookie cutters to cut hearts out of the cake.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
I’m doing a simple sprinkle of powdered sugar but have fun customizing these heart cakes!
Drizzle with white chocolate, dark chocolate, or pipe some frosting on top. Add heart shaped or Valentine’s Day themed sprinkles.
Serve these mini heart cakes alongside these Chocolate Covered Strawberries!
Mini Chocolate Heart Cakes
Mini chocolate heart cakes are a simple, sweet Valentine’s Day treat! Dust them with powdered sugar or pipe your favorite frosting on top!
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (Cacao v. Cocoa Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Use a whisk or electric mixer to cream together the coconut sugar and butter.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until fully incorporated.
- Spread the batter into an 8×8 inch square pan lined with parchment paper. The batter is thicker and may be difficult to spread but it’ll eventually get there, keep working it into the corners and side of the pan!
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Use heart shaped cookie cutters to cut hearts out of the cake.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cake
- Calories: 92
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Sodium: 91mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 9.8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe