I struggle with breakfasts. It’s true. I want to start the day off right because I feel like it sets the tone for the whole day, but some mornings I just can’t think of what “right” is.
Jaryd (aka my husband, aka the healthiest person I know) advocates salads for breakfast. While his salads aren’t in the least bit breakfast-y, I decided maybe it was a good time to bring salads into the breakfast realm. Some of you are rolling your eyes, unable to imagine yourself cleaning and chopping lettuce before you’re awake enough to put your contacts in, I have the answer.
Taylor Farms 🙂 I’ve used them before and absolutely adore how fresh and delicious their products are! I’ve tried their chopped salads and stir-fry kits and truly feel like they are part of the equation to quick, easy, and nutritious meals.
Today I’m using Taylor Farm’s chef-inspired salad as my breakfast-salad base. I used the kale and beet salad because… ok it was the colors. The colors were really pretty. But beyond the pretty purples and oranges, I loved how fresh and crunchy they looked. Between the kale and beets, I couldn’t think of a better powerhouse to get you going in the morning.
After I made this salad my head was swarming with more breakfast salad ideas – the possibilities are endless! Bacon? Pancake croutons? I’m coming for you.
So let’s make a Kale + Beet Breakfast Salad!!
First, grab some handfuls of your Taylor Farms chef-inspired salad and place it in your bowl. Add half an avocado (sliced, if desired), a handful of watercress, and 1 oz of crumbled blue cheese to each bowl (or plate).
Poach the eggs: crack one egg into a small bowl. Bring ⅓ a pot of water to a boil, and then turn it down so it’s simmering. Use a spoon to swirl the water, creating a whirlpool.
Gently, slide the egg into the center of the whirlpool and continue to swirl the water as the egg cooks. Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg, allow the excess water to drip off, and place it on the salad. Continue this process with the second egg.
Sprinkle the poached egg with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes (as desired). Drizzle the salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Finally, sprinkle toasted pine nuts and hemp hearts on top.
- ½ container of Taylor Farm’s chef-inspired kale + beet salad (about 4 oz)
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful of watercress (or micro greens)
- 2 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoon hemp hearts
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- In your bowls (or plates) divide the Taylor Farms chef-inspired salad, avocado (sliced, if desired), watercress, and crumbled blue cheese.
- Poach the eggs: crack one egg into a small ramekin or bowl.
- Bring ⅓ of a pot of water to a boil, and then turn it down so it’s simmering.
- Use a spoon to swirl the water, creating a whirlpool.
- Gently, slide the egg into the center of the whirlpool and continue to swirl the water as the egg cooks.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg, allow the excess water to drip off, and place it on top of the salad.
- Continue this process with the second egg.
- Toast your pine nuts: place your pine nuts on a skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently.
- After about 1 – 2 minutes, when the nuts become fragrant, remove the pan from the heat adn continue to shake the nuts in the pan until they become golden-brown.
- Sprinkle each poached egg with salt, pepper, pepper flakes (as desired), toasted pine nuts, and hemp hearts.
- Drizzle the whole salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
Thank you so much to Taylor Farms for sponsoring this post! I love working with my favorite brands and couldn’t be more excited they support The Toasted Pine Nut!! xo