This homemade vegan and paleo caramel sauce is an absolute game changer!!
Here’s my deal. I really like caramel. When I was young, one of my favorite after school snacks was cut up apples and those little single serve caramel packs.
I really wanted to get you guys a caramel recipe for all your caramel sauce needs: dipping apples, putting in pies, maybe apple pies? Drizzle on a cake. Dipping a muffin in? I don’t know. I just know you guys needed this caramel sauce as much as me.
Here’s the best part: no candy thermometer needed. No fancy stuff or extra care. All you need is a good old fashion pot, a stove, and FOUR ingredients!! If you can whisk, you can make this caramel sauce!
Ingredients and substitutions for paleo and vegan caramel:
- coconut cream : you should be able to find it in the international section of your grocery store. It’s near the coconut milk. I always grab the “unsweetened” coconut cream because we’re adding the sweetness here. If you get already sweetened coconut cream, it may be a bit too sweet.
- coconut sugar : I haven’t tested this recipe with any other sugar, but I think brown sugar would be a great sub if you don’t have coconut sugar or don’t like it.
- vanilla: just a splash to give it some more warm cozy caramel vibes
- sea salt: a sprinkle to bring out the sweet flavors.
How to make vegan caramel:
Put the coconut cream and coconut sugar in a saucepot. Coconut cream should be near the coconut milk in the grocery store. Make sure it’s unsweetened and that it’s coconut cream and not coconut milk.
Bring it to a rolling boil for 15 minutes, whisking constantly. The color will darken and the caramel will thicken up. If you’re having a hard time getting it to thicken up, turn up the heat and continue to whisk constantly until it reaches your desired consistency.
Once it’s a good consistency, turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla and sea salt. Donezo, my friends.
How to use homemade caramel:
- dip apples in it
- make these Gluten Free + Vegan Twix Bars
- or these Healthy Homemade Snickers Bars
- drizzle it on this Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
Homemade Vegan Caramel Sauce
Four ingredient homemade vegan caramel sauce comes together in under 20 minutes and perfect for drizzling on any dessert!
- 1 can (15 oz) unsweetened coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the coconut cream and coconut sugar in a saucepot or deep skillet over high heat.
- Bring it to a rolling boil for 15 minutes, whisking constantly.
- If it’s not thickening up to your liking, turn up the heat and continue to whisk constantly as it boils for another 5 – 10 minutes. Take it off the heat right before your desired consistency because it continues to thicken as it cools.
- Once the caramel is your desired consistency, turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Eat it warm if you wish, or place it in the fridge for it to continue to thicken.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 13.1g
- Sodium: 117mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe