Homemade Vegan Caramel Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This homemade vegan and paleo caramel sauce is an absolute game changer!!
Here’s my deal. I really like caramel. When I was young, one of my favorite after school snacks was cut up apples and those little single serve caramel packs.
I really wanted to get you guys a caramel recipe for all your caramel sauce needs: dipping apples, putting in pies, maybe apple pies? Drizzle on a cake. Dipping a muffin in? I don’t know. I just know you guys needed this caramel sauce as much as me.
Here’s the best part: no candy thermometer needed. No fancy stuff or extra care. All you need is a good old fashion pot, a stove, and FOUR ingredients!! If you can whisk, you can make this caramel sauce!
Ingredients and substitutions for paleo and vegan caramel:
- coconut cream : you should be able to find it in the international section of your grocery store. It’s near the coconut milk. I always grab the “unsweetened” coconut cream because we’re adding the sweetness here. If you get already sweetened coconut cream, it may be a bit too sweet.
- coconut sugar : I haven’t tested this recipe with any other sugar, but I think brown sugar would be a great sub if you don’t have coconut sugar or don’t like it.
- vanilla: just a splash to give it some more warm cozy caramel vibes
- sea salt: a sprinkle to bring out the sweet flavors.
How to make vegan caramel:
Bring it to a rolling boil for 15 minutes, whisking constantly. The color will darken and the caramel will thicken up. If you’re having a hard time getting it to thicken up, turn up the heat and continue to whisk constantly until it reaches your desired consistency.
How to use homemade caramel:
- dip apples in it
- make these Gluten Free + Vegan Twix Bars
- or these Healthy Homemade Snickers Bars
- drizzle it on this Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
Four ingredient homemade vegan caramel sauce comes together in under 20 minutes and perfect for drizzling on any dessert!
- 1 can (15 oz) unsweetened coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the coconut cream and coconut sugar in a saucepot or deep skillet over high heat.
- Bring it to a rolling boil for 15 minutes, whisking constantly.
- If it’s not thickening up to your liking, turn up the heat and continue to whisk constantly as it boils for another 5 – 10 minutes. Take it off the heat right before your desired consistency because it continues to thicken as it cools.
- Once the caramel is your desired consistency, turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Eat it warm if you wish, or place it in the fridge for it to continue to thicken.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 13.1g
- Sodium: 117mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: homemade caramel. caramel sauce, vegan caramel sauce, paleo caramel sauce, caramel sauce using coconut cream, caramel using coconut sugar2