Friday night is pizza night in my house. Usually we order in a large pie, but lately we’ve been saving some money by making our own at home. I’ve loved making a super doughy pizza crust that the kids can help with.
This past Friday we ran out of pizza sauce. I searched out pantry to no avail.
So, I thought it would be fun to whip up a quick and easy batch of homemade pizza sauce because I was not about to run out to the store.
Ingredients for homemade pizza sauce:
- canned tomatoes: I really like to use fire roasted tomatoes because it adds a depth of flavor to this sauce, but it also adds a deeper color. Feel free to sub in regular ol’ canned tomatoes, they work perfectly well!
- tomato paste: helps thicken up the sauce and
- sugar: to me, part of the joy of pizza sauce over marinara is that it’s slightly sweet. We’re adding just a quick tablespoon of sugar to achieve that. Feel free to use whatever sugar you have on hand – coconut sugar, brown sugar, white sugar, agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup are all great options!
- garlic cloves
How to make pizza sauce from scratch:
Place it all in the blender! I love this recipe because it’s no-cook. There is one simple step. Well, two if you count pressing a button. Plop everything in the blender. It’s one of those dump recipes that is perfect to make with kids. You dump everything into the blender and then turn it on.
Use however much you need and then transfer the rest to an airtight container in the fridge to store it.
As I was typing up the ingredients I realized that this recipe for homemade pizza sauce is vegan! There’s no cheese or animal products in this recipe and so you can make some really delicious pizza options for all the veg-lovers out there!
- 28 oz. fire roasted whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (coconut sugar, agave, white sugar, whatever you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and process until smooth, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge until you’re ready to use it!
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 9
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Sodium: 99mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg