Hiding veggies in food gives a certain joy deep in my soul. I watch my children chow down on fun green waffles with a glint in my eye that they’re eating SPINACH. Yes, spinach. A leafy green that they would never even touch in its traditional form.
Only by transforming it into something entirely different will they approach it. I get it, when I was a kid I wasn’t eating leaves of spinach either.
We are now officially in March which means St. Patrick’s Day is only a couple weeks away. Personally I love a holiday to make some fun themed dishes and these green waffles are the perfect way to kick off your day on a healthier note. The kids get really into all the green food and I think it’s a perfect opportunity to get some actual leafy greens in their bellies.
I picked up all my ingredients from my local Kroger store. I love that I could get all the ingredients in one stop and not have to bop around to different stores. Everything at Kroger is super affordable and they have quality produce that helps make healthy eating easy and convenient.
Ingredients for Green Spinach Waffles:
- milk or your favorite dairy-free milk
- vanilla extract
- coconut sugar
- ghee, coconut oil or butter
- blanched almond flour
- flax meal
- baking powder
- butter and syrup for serving
The great thing about these waffles is they’re easy to customize. They’re naturally gluten free, but if you want them to be dairy free, sub in your favorite dairy-free milk like almond milk or oat milk. Coconut sugar is my favorite way to sweeten these waffles, but sub in your favorite granular sweetener. I include in the recipe card other subs that may work for you.
So let’s jump into the recipe and make these green spinach waffles.
Place the milk, eggs, vanilla, coconut sugar, ghee, spinach, almond flour, flax meal, and baking powder in a blender or food processor. Blend all the ingredients together until combined.
Grease a waffle iron with ghee (coconut oil or butter also works) and warm. Scoop ½ cup of the batter onto the waffle iron and close.
Cook the waffles for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the waffle iron light goes off. Place the waffles on a plate and top with butter and syrup.
Gluten Free Green Spinach Waffles
Start your day off with an extra serving of leafy greens! These Gluten Free Green Spinach Waffles are the perfect St. Patrick’s Day breakfast.
- 1 cup whole milk (your favorite dairy-free milk works too)
- 2 eggs
- splash of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee (coconut oil or butter works too)
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 2 cups + 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter and syrup for serving
- Place the milk, eggs, vanilla, coconut sugar, ghee, spinach, almond flour, flax meal, and baking powder in a blender or food processor.
- Blend all the ingredients together until combined.
- Grease a waffle iron with ghee (coconut oil or butter also works) and warm.
- Scoop ½ cup of the batter onto the waffle iron and close.
- Cook the waffles for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the waffle iron light goes off.
- Place the waffles on a plate and top with butter and syrup.
Thank you so much to Kroger for sponsoring this post! I love working with my favorite brands and couldn’t be more thrilled they support The Toasted Pine Nut! xo
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe