Double Chocolate Donuts + Sea Salt
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I love that sea salt emerged in the last few years in a very unexpected way. I remember walking into my corner Starbucks (probably 6 years ago) and giving their Salted Caramel Latte a whirl. My life was changed. Salted is the answer to my sweet and salty cravvving!! You know why you love chocolate covered pretzels? The salt. It’s a classic combo that has really come into its own.
My favorite purchase as of late is my donut pan. I mean, my life has changed. It’s non-stick and while I do grease it a bit with coconut oil, I have full confidence in it’s baking and non-stick abilities 🙂
Vanilla baked donuts are where it all started and I feel like there are endless possibilities as far as flavors go. I was craving allll the chocolate but still salivating for the salty, so naturally double chocolate donuts with sea salt were born. These are super simple, moist, and chocolate HEAVEN. I can’t tell you how perfect they are with a glass of milk.
They didn’t last long in my house. My kids have an eye for newly filled tupperware and then by the time Jaryd gets home there’s one left for him. I need to have a secret stash. Save one for myself before they even sense that I’ve been baking.
I usually can’t resist the butter when I’m trying to make cake-y and donut-y things, but I made this recipe completely dairy-free and am so psyched with the results. AND I love that the icing is completely homemade. Ok ok what I’m saying is I LOVE this recipe and it’s shocking too easy which means donuts will be on repeat in yo house!
So here’s how you make low carb, gluten free, and dairy free Double Chocolate Donuts with Sea Salt:
Mix until everything is combined.
Pour the batter into a plastic baggie and cut off one corner. Squeeze the batter out into the donut pan.
Bake for about 10 minutes. Leave the donuts in the pan for a couple minutes and then place on a cooling rack.
Sprinkle some pink Himalayan sea salt on top of each donut.
Place in the fridge for a couple minutes for the icing to harden.
Delicious double chocolate donuts made with almond flour!! They’re low(er) carb, gluten free, paleo, and SO EASY to make!! The homemade glaze is unreal!
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted and cooled a bit (butter or ghee works)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and agave nectar.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa, sea salt, and baking powder.
- Mix until everything is combined.
- Dip a paper towel into your coconut oil and grease the donut pan.
- Pour the batter into a plastic baggie and cut off one corner.
- Squeeze the batter out into the donut pan and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Leave the donuts in the pan for a couple minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack. If you need to use a butter knife to loosen it up before you take them out, then go for it.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, agave nectar, and cocoa to make the icing.
- If the glaze is too thick, microwave it for 20 seconds in the microwave to make it more thin and glaze-y.
- Dip the tops of each donut into the glaze and then set aside.
- Sprinkle some pink Himalayan sea salt on top of each donut.
- Place in the fridge for a couple minutes for the glaze to harden.
Per donut: Calories 355; Fat 28.7g (Sat 16.8g); Protein 6.5g; Carb 22.3g (net carbs 19.3g); Fiber 3.0g; Sodium 338mg
Save this image for later!! Pin the image below 🙂