I have a thing for mini chocolate chips. I mean, they’re adorable, no? I think they’re absolutely perfect in this loaf cake because there’s a yummy chocolatey burst with each bite.
To put this chocolate chip loaf over the top, we’re topping it off with a silky smooth chocolate ganache that makes this loaf truly gorgeous and delicious.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
Butter. I use unsalted butter because we’re adding some salt later on in the recipe. If you prefer you can use dairy free or vegan butter, that works too! Feel free to sub in your favorite vegetable oil or refined coconut oil if you prefer! Check out my favorite trick for How to Soften Butter!
Eggs. I’m using three eggs in this recipe to give it some fluff and lift. I haven’t tested it with flax eggs or vegan eggs so if you do any experimenting, let me know how it goes!!
Agave Nectar. I tend to have agave nectar in my pantry but you can sub in another sticky sweetener like honey or maple syrup.
Vanilla. Just a splash 🙂
Oat Flour. I love using oat flour lately because it’s so fluffy and acts so much like regular all purpose flour. If you don’t have oat flour you can blitz some old fashioned oats in a blender or food processor to make oat flour.
Baking Powder & Salt. For some baking magic!
Chocolate Chips. I love using mini chocolate chips for this recipe but switch it up with any and all types of chippers! Peanut butter chips, dark chocolate chips, or even butterscotch chips could be fun!
Next Level Ganache Frosting
This chocolate chip loaf cake is pretty delightful in and of itself but if you want to make it up a notch, top it with the chocolate ganache frosting.
This frosting is soft and luscious and if you pop it in the fridge it hardens into a top layer that you can really sink your teeth into!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
It’s so simple! Melt the butter in a large bowl and whisk in the agave nectar, eggs, and vanilla. Once combined, add in the dry ingredients to the bowl.
Finally, add in those mini chocolate chippers. Fold them until they’re incorporated into the batter.
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. I usually fold the parchment paper so it’s hanging over two of the longer sides.
Allow the loaf cake to cool completely before you whip up the chocolate ganache frosting. Spread the ganache across the top of the loaf and cut into slices.
Does this Freeze Well?
Yes! Freeze this before you make the ganache frosting and spread it on top. Allow the loaf to cool completely, wrap it in plastic wrap and foil and then freeze it.
Defrost it in the fridge overnight and then keep at room temperature or warm in the microwave or oven until heated through.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers are best stored without the ganache frosting. If the frosting is already on the entire loaf, it’s ok, it may just seep down a bit into the top of the loaf.
Room temp. Store your loaf in an airtight container at room temperature for about three days. Enjoy at room temperature or warm slices in the microwave or oven until heated through.
Fridge. Store your loaf in an airtight container in the fridge for about one week. Reheat slices in the microwave or oven until heated to desired temperature.
Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Make the loaf cake: Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in a large bowl and add the agave, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add the oat flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk again until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bowl and fold them into the batter.
- Line an 8 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and transfer the batter to the pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center is set.
- Allow the loaf to cool for 30+ minutes or until room temperature.
- Make the frosting: Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes until melted. Add the cream and whisk. Continue to whisk until the ganache thickens.
- Pour the frosting on top of the loaf cake and spread it out across the top and down the sides.
- Sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 26.2g
- Sodium: 265mg
- Fat: 26.8g
- Saturated Fat: 15.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38.8g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 101mg