Chickpea Cookie Dough
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you are highly skeptical of this recipe, let me say that I understand. I was too. How could chickpeas make a good cookie dough? Wouldn’t that just be… cookie dough hummus?
I was in that boat. I was a skeptic. I poo poo-ed chickpeas masquerading around as edible cookie dough until… I ate some. And it was delicious.
I take back any skeptical thought I had chickpea cookie dough. Not only is it delicious, but it’s secretly nutritious and loaded with good for you ingredients.
Ingredients for edible chickpea cookie dough:
Chickpeas. I used canned chickpeas because they are easy. You can definitely cook your own garbanzo beans. I’ve read that they are more mellow and have less of a that classic chickpea smell when you make them at home. I use canned chickpeas and really cannot detect chickpeas at all in this recipe.
Natural Peanut Butter. I love peanut butter in this recipe, but you can use any nut or seed butter you prefer! Cashew butter is super mellow and has a buttery, cookie flavor so that’s a great option. But, almond butter or sunflower seed butter are also options.
Agave Nectar. Because it’s sweet and cookie dough is… sweet! Feel free to sub in honey or maple syrup if you prefer!
Coconut Sugar. Cookie dough has that rich brown sugar flavor so coconut sugar gives that vibe in this recipe.
Vanilla Extract. Personally I think this is really necessary for the classic cookie dough flavor.
Almond Flour. This is going to give the dough some structure along with the chickpeas. I always go for super-fine blanched almond flour because it has a great color and isn’t too granular like an almond meal is. If you don’t have almond flour or can’t do nuts, oat flour may be a good option for you!
Salt. Brings out the flavor and adds a really greta balance to the sweet!
Chocolate Chips. Chips, chunks, chopped chocolate. However you do it, just make sure to add some chocolate pieces to the cookie dough!
How to make chickpea cookie dough:
It’s so simple! All you need to do is process the chickpeas, peanut butter, and sweeteners until smooth.
Then, add the almond flour and salt. Pulse until they’re incorporated and then fold in the chips.
Eat immediately, or store in the fridge to chill before eating.
- Add some oats! Make this a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie dough recipe by mixing in some nuts when you fold in the chocolate chips.
- Make it nut-free. I used peanut butter and almond flour in this recipe but feel free to sub in a seed butter and oat flour instead!
- Roll them into cookie dough balls. Chill the dough and then roll them into chickpea cookie dough bites. It make be a little too soft to roll into balls right away, so I suggest chilling it for 2 hours or so before you roll them into cookie dough bites.
- Serve it as a cookie dough dip. Yes you can spoon this straight out of the fridge late-night as you binge watch trashy tv (like me). Orrrr you can serve this up as a party dip or appetizer! It’s a fun surprise and crowd pleaser!
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for about 5 days.
Freeze the dough in a freezer-safe container for up to three months! Defrost overnight in the fridge the day before you’re ready to serve.
More cookie dough dessert recipes:
- No Bake Cookie Dough Bites
- Tahini Cookie Dough Truffles
- Three Edible Cookie Dough Recipes
- Cookie Dough Nice Cream
- No-Bake Cookie Dough Bars
- Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies
Chickpea Cookie Dough comes together in MINUTES and tastes exactly like cookie dough! A sweet vegan treat that’s secretly nutritious!
- 15 oz. chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (honey or maple syrup also works)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Place the rinsed chickpeas, peanut butter, agave, coconut sugar, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the almond flour and salt.
- Blend again until combined, about 20 more seconds.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a bowl to eat or chill in the fridge and serve cold.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 16.5g
- Sodium: 161mg
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31.6g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: chickpea cookie dough, chickpea cookie dough recipe, cookie dough hummus, chickpea cookie, vegan chickpea cookie dough, garbanzo bean cookie dough, chickpea edible cookie dough, edible chickpea cookie dough, healthy cookie dough dip, chocolate chip hummus, best chickpea cookie dough,