Something came into my life recently and it’s called a galette. Have you heard of them?
Me either until like two months ago. I put “make a galette” on my summer bucket list but labor day came and went and it wasn’t checked off yet. So I went for it.
What is a galette? I like to think of it as a super laid back pie that is rustic, rough around the edges but charming and delightful.
Google tells me it can be various types of flat, round, freeform crusty cakes. “Crusty” isn’t the best, in my opinion but here we’ll say google meant “crusty” as in having a crust and thus we have a galette.
If you love baking, I have tons of inspiration on my 50+ Gluten Free Desserts roundup post! From chocolatey treats to berries, from cakes to cookies, that post really has everything you’re looking for!
This berry galette is:
- simple to throw together
- easy and laid back
- customizable! put whatever berries or fruit inside!
Ingredients for Berry Galette:
- blanched almond flour
- arrowroot flour
- mixed berries
- powdered sugar: I like to use this zero calorie powdered sugar, but if you’re up for it good ol’ regular powdered sugar is always welcome 🙂
Make it your own: Try peaches, apples, or another fresh cut fruit in the filling instead of berries! Once you get the basic recipe, the filling possibilities are endless 🥧
How to make a Berry Galette:
Make the crust. Add all softened butter, almond flour, arrowroot and salt to your bowl and fold them together.
Roll it out. Place a piece of parchment paper on your counter and dust it with arrowroot flour. Transfer the dough to the parchment paper and dust again. Roll it in an oval, about 1/4 inch thick. Continue to dust with arrowroot flour as needed.
Prep and add the berries. Add your berries in a bowl along with 1 tablespoon of the powdered sugar. Toss to coat the berries. Place the berries into the center of crust.
Fold the crust over. Use the parchment paper to fold the edges of the crust into the perimeter of the galette, leaving the the center berries open.
Brush the crust. Beat an egg in a small bowl and brush it onto the edges of the crust.
Bake it. Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Enjoy! Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of powdered sugar and add a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream if desired!
More berry recipes to try:
- Chewy Strawberry Meringue Cookies
- Lemon Raspberry Cake
- Fudgey Chocolate Strawberry Brownies
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake (gluten free)
- Strawberry Shortbread Crumble Bars
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature or softened
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour + more for dusting your crust
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar (I use this zero sugar version), divided
- 1 egg, whisked
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place your butter in a medium bowl and soften your butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot four, and salt to the bowl and fold together.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on your counter and dust it with arrowroot flour.
- Transfer the dough to the parchment paper. Dust it with arrowroot flour and roll it in an oval, about 1/4 inch thick. Continue to dust with arrowroot flour as needed.
- Add your berries in a bowl along with 1 tablespoon of the powdered sugar. Toss to coat the berries.
- Place the berries into the center of crust.
- Use the parchment paper to fold the edges into the perimeter of the galette, leaving the the center berries open.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl and brush it onto the edges of the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of powdered sugar and add a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream if desired!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 173mg
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10.1g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 57mg