The unofficial start to summer is only a couple weeks away. Two things immediately come to mind. First, it’s grilling season, baby!! Second, fresh and crunchy salads are my jam. Lately? I want something refreshing with a sweet and tangy taste that has that, “I need to eat this entire plate and grab some seconds” urgency about it.
For me, the key to a good salad is a leafy green, something juicy, a nut, and a sprinkle of cheese. When I’m in a pinch, I usually grab a quick balsamic dressing and hit the ground running. When I want a little extra somethin’ somethin’ I add a protein and make a fun dressing to get me all jazzed about the salad.
This orange marinated chicken is unbelievable. It’s one of those dishes you marinate overnight and let the meat soak in all the flavors (omg, the best). Then, you throw the chicken on the grill which adds a whole new flavor dimension that screams summer.
As you probably know by now, I’m in loove with Taylor Farms. Their greens, salads, and stir-fry kits are always a staple on my shopping list. Today I’m using Taylor Farm’s organic baby arugula. I LOVE the flavor it adds to the salad and the shape and delicate leaves of the arugula just makes me smile.
I’m also partnering with Taylor Farms for a fun giveaway over on Instagram to celebrate National Salad Month, so head over there to enter!!
SO let’s make you new favorite summer staple that you’ll undoubtedly bring to backyard bbqs, birthday parties, and make on a whim for your weeknight meals.
First you want to plan ahead and marinate your chicken! This is even something you can do on a Sunday night as part of your weekly meal prep and keep that chicken marinating for days until you’re ready to use it.
Pour the oil, vinegar, orange juice, coconut sugar, whole grain mustard, garlic, salt, and chicken in a large plastic baggie and let it sit in your fridge overnight.
When you’re ready to make the meal, remove the chicken from the plastic baggie and discard the marinade. Heat the grill on high for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium. Once the grill is heated, place the chicken on and cook for 2 – 3 minutes per side.
In a small mason jar, or jar with a lid, place the dressing ingredients: orange juice, oil, agave nectar, apple cider vinegar, and garlic.
Toss the arugula with the dressing. Top with sliced chicken, sliced orange and grapefruit, crumbled blue cheese, and chopped pistachios.
Summer Citrus Salad + Grilled Orange Marinated Chicken
The best summer citrus salad that will get you ready for grilling season! The orange chicken is so sweet and tangy, you’ll be wanting seconds.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 orange, juiced and strained
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- ½ orange, juiced and strained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Splash apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups Taylor Farms baby arugula
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- 2 oz. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Pour the oil, vinegar, orange juice, coconut sugar, whole grain mustard, garlic, salt, and chicken in a large plastic baggie and let it sit in your fridge overnight.
- The next day, remove the chicken from the plastic baggie and discard the marinade.
- Heat the grill on high for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium.
- Once the grill is heated, place the chicken on the grill and cook for 2 – 3 minutes per side.
- In a small mason jar, or jar with a lid, place the dressing ingredients: orange juice, oil, agave nectar, apple cider vinegar, and garlic.
- Toss the arugula with the dressing.
- Top with sliced chicken, sliced oranges and grapefruit, crumbled gorgonzola, and chopped pistachios.
Thank you so much to Taylor Farms for sponsoring this post! I love working with my favorite brands and couldn’t be more excited they support The Toasted Pine Nut!! xo
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe