Spinach Pepper Tostadas
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hello 2015!! We had a great time ringing in the new year! We had some friends over for a “noon year’s eve” celebration aka we counted down five seconds before noon because we didn’t catch it in time to count down from ten.
It was fun to celebrate and enjoy some time with friends that we don’t get to see enough. Aaaaand I got to use them as taste testers for some new recipes. We watched the 6pm fireworks show and went to bed promptly at 10. Nothing like starting the new year off well rested 😉 And by well rested I mean my kid still wakes up at least twice at night so “well rested” is pretty relative considering…
Philadelphia is home of the mummers parade! We woke up on January 1st, bundled up, and walked over to Broad Street to watch the troops strut their stuff! They dance, play music, and hand out beads to the kids. It’s very entertaining and one of my favorite new year’s traditions. Here are some pics of the fun! Thank goodness for our selfie stick!!
So one of the appetizers that went quickly at our celebration were these Spinach Pepper Tostadas. The spinach crust is perfectly crunchy and topped with fun peppers, mozzarella pearls, a sweet drizzle and herbs. I’m telling you, these are easyyy peasy.
So here’s how you make some delicious Spinach Pepper Tostadas:
Place your defrosted spinach in cheese cloth or clean, thin dish towel. I love using a nut milk bag for squeezing out the liquid. Squeeze as much water out of the spinach as you can.
Combine all your ingredients in a large bowl and mix it all together.
Place about 1 tablespoon of this mixture onto a lined baking sheet. Use your fingers to press it down and make a mini tostada shape.
Pop these in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a serving tray.
While the tostadas are in the oven, slice your bell peppers. You want them to be a around 1/4 – 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long.
Sauté the peppers in olive oil over medium-low heat until they are really cooked down and browned, about 10 – 15 minutes. Once they are near done, add 1 teaspoon of agave nectar to give them some extra sweetness.
Top each tostada with mozzarella pearls, a balsamic reduction drizzle, and chopped herbs!
Really fun and delicious low carb + gluten free Spinach Pepper Tostadas!! You’ll love how simple these are to make and how fun they are to eat! They’re a perfect party appetizer!!
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and liquid squeezed out
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing (or favorite cooking oil)
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works too)
- 36 mini mozzarella pearls
- 3 tablespoons balsamic reduction for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon chopped bails or fresh herbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine squeezed spinach, egg, parm, garlic powder, salt and pepper (not bell pepper) in a large bowl.
- Form small, thin circles on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Sauté the sliced bell peppers in olive oil on low to medium heat, adjusting it as necessary.
- Cook the peppers down until they are no longer firm and are browned, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in agave nectar towards the end.
- Transfer the spinach tostadas to a serving dish.
- Top each tostada with a sautéed pepper, 2-3 mini mozzarella pearls, a drizzle of balsamic reduction, and some chopped basil.