Low Carb Nutty Granola
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Granola Granola GRANNOOOOLLLA!! Yayaya! Guys! I used to be an avid granola consumer. Then it kind of petered off and I’d have it here and there. I always kind of felt like the store bought granola was packed with hidden sugars and whatnot.
I never really thought to make it myself, but then again, I never really thought I would have a blog. So, I went for it. In both scenarios.
I feel like in trying to adhere to a low carb life, the toughest times for me are breakfast and and snacks. I mean eggs are great and all, but I need a break. It’s not you, it’s me. So here you go. My goal was to create something crunchy, nutty, filling, packed with protein, and oh yeah, incredibly delicious. Mission accomplished.
I’m pretty psyched to have a bowl of this for breakfast (throw it on some Greek yogurt, chia pudding, mix with some berries) and to have as a snack around the house. There’s so much of this stuff, I wonder how long it’ll last!!
My inspiration for this came from my cousin-in-law who was telling me how she puts granola in her chia pudding (um genius). At first I was bummed because I wanted some granola on my chia pudding! Sounds delicious!! Then I started thinking about ways to make it low carb and voilà!
This was my first time making granola. So fun, so many goodies, so easy too! Here’s how you make Low Carb Nutty Granola:
In large bowl, combine the flax meal, hemp seeds, cacao nibs and vanilla. Side bar: cacao nibs are totally optional. It took me little to like their flavor, so it’s not for everyone!
In a food processor, process the almonds and peanuts until chopped with some larger pieces. You will see in this picture a large knife. That is because I thought I would try to chop them by hand and when that was taking forever I thought “Screw this” and threw them in the food processor. Great decision or greatest decision?
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, peanut butter, and agave together. Stir until combined and smooth. Pour peanut butter mixture into the large bowl.Toss the mixture. Then, add the water and toss some more. Things will begin to clump together.
Spread mixture evenly on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Things should begin to crisp after 20 minutes.
When the 20 minutes are up, stir the granola one more time. Return the baking sheet to the oven, but turn the oven off. Let the granola sit in the oven for another 20 minutes.
You’ll love this homemade Low Carb Nutty Granola! It’s so easy to customize and use your favorite nuts and seeds! It’s gluten free and paleo-friendly!
- 1 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup ghee (coconut oil or butter also works)
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine the flax meal, hemp seeds, and vanilla.
- In food processor, process the almonds and peanuts until chopped with some larger pieces. Add to large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the ghee, peanut butter, and coconut sugar together. Stir until combined and smooth.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into the large bowl and toss.
- Add the water and continue to toss. Things will begin to clump together.
- Spread mixture evenly on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Things should begin to crisp after 20 minutes.
- When the 20 minutes are up, stir the granola one more time. Return the baking sheet to the oven, but turn the oven off. Let the granola sit in the oven for another 20 minutes.
serving size: about 1/2 cup
- Serving Size: 10
Keywords: homemade granola, homemade granola healthy, homemade granola cereal, low carb granola, low carb high protein granola, low carb peanut butter granola, low carb homemade granola, how to make granola, homemade granola, easy granola recipe, gluten free granola, gluten free sugar free granola recipe, gluten free homemade granola, healthy granola, healthy granola recipe, healthy peanut butter granola