Herbed Zucchini + Ricotta Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I am l-o-v-ing this dish. This was a whole family meal, people. I mean, every person in my family sat at the table, at the same time, and ate the same meal together. It was like a parallel universe. There are nights when I make five different dinners on a given night: one for Jaryd and I, one for my 9 month old plus another if he finishes it and screams for more, then three for my toddler because he requests then rejects three different dinners.
Don’t worry, I’m working on being less accommodating. THIS pie, though, made everyone happy. Well ok, my toddler did request a side of raisins, but still. Everyone ate it. I mean, that’s a success in my book.
These would also be perfect to make as muffins for a grab-and-go meal. A lot of zucchini or spinach pies are stuffed with cheese that leaves you feeling heavy. This is a light alternative that leaves you full without the bloat. I mean, this already had ricotta and you could tottttally add more cheese because #whytnot, but to each her own.
You’d think this would be super involved, but it really comes together easily and only dirties a couple bowls. I love it when the clean up is just as easy as the recipe! I assembled everything during naptime and then popped it in the oven later that night for dinner. It takes the stress and urgency out of dinnertime! Here’s what you do:
I used the grating attachment to my food processor. If you’re going this route, cut the zucchini so they can fit through the hole in the lid of the food processor.
Place the zucchini through the hole in the lid of the food processor while it is on, and continue until all the zucchinis are grated.
If you’re not using a food processor, hand grate the zucchini. Then place it in a cheese cloth or clean dish towel and squeeze out the excess liquid.
Put the zucchini in a skillet with coconut oil and cook it for 10 minutes over high heat, stirring often. It will turn golden brown. Stir in the shallots and herbs and remove from heat. I was a little conservative with my herbs and when I make this again, I will definitely ramp it up.
In a separate bowl, place the ricotta, eggs, and cream. Mix together. Add the zucchini mixture to the ricotta bowl and mix to combine.
Place the mixture in your baking dish.
Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper. Pop it in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes before digging in!
Really decadent but light and delicious Herbed Zucchini + Ricotta Pie is the perfect low carb and gluten free recipe for weekend brunch!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 small zucchinis, grated (or 2 large zucchinis)
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped
- 7 oz. ricotta (whole milk)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup light cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Hand grate the zucchini or use your grating attachment on your food processor.
- Squeeze the excess water out of zucchini using a cheesecloth or clean, thin dishtowel. This is a super important step to squeeze as much water out as possible.
- Put the oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Cook zucchini for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until they start to brown.
- Add the shallots and herbs to the pan. Stir to combine and then remove from the heat.
- Put the ricotta, eggs, and cream in a large bowl and add the zucchini mixture. Mix well.
- Transfer to baking dish (I used a pie/quiche dish) and bake for 30-35 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- Top with additional herbs for fun 🙂
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: zucchini, zucchini recipes, zucchini recipes keto, zucchini recipes vegetarian, zucchini recipes gluten free, zucchini recipes baked, zucchini pie, zucchini pie keto, zucchini pie gluten free, zucchini pie filling, zucchini ricotta, zucchini ricotta bake, zucchini ricotta pie, zucchini ricotta quiche, zucchini ricotta quiche, zucchini ricotta quiche recipe, crustless zucchini ricotta quiche, crustless zucchini ricotta quiche recipe, crustless quiche recipe, vegetarian quiche recipe