Healthier Hot Crab Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
It’s here! I have the best healthier hot crab dip recipe that you can make whether you’re hanging in for a weekend at home, or popping over to a friend’s bbq. It’s and easy crab dip with cream cheese, jumbo lump crab meat, and comes together in under 25 minutes.
I’m also giving you some slow cooker instructions if you want to make this a crockpot crab dip recipe for a fun set it and forget it appetizer.
Listen, this is a seriously indulgent dip. It has that creamy, cheesy goodness that we all came here for. But, we are lightening it up with some greek yogurt, lessening the amount of mayo we use, and adding some lemon juice for that light and fresh feeling.
But don’t get me wrong on the whole “healthier” thing. This is heaven in dip form. This crab dip is packed with flavor and yumminess.
This hot crab dip is:
- lusciously creamy
- seasoned with Old Bay
- made with jumbo lump crab
- easy to assemble
- lightened up and healthier than heavy crab dips
- beloved by everyone
Ingredients for the Best Crab Dip:
- jump lump crab meat: The best part of the dip, in my opinion.
- cream cheese: The base of the dip. It’s super important you start out with it room temperature. If you forgot to leave this out to warm up, you can place it in a small bowl and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds until softened.
- Greek yogurt: Lightens it up a bit!
- mayonnaise: adds another level of creaminess, though we’re keeping it light and not using a ton of mayo here.
- garlic: I recommend freshly minced garlic, but pre-minced garlic or garlic powder would also work.
- Old Bay seasoning: This gives the dip that iconic crab flavor! Eating crabs tossed in Old Bay is an east coast summer staple. Old Bay is essential to this recipe, in my opinion!
- green onion/ scallions: Adds a dash of green to the mix!
- cheddar cheese: More cheese please! I’m using white cheddar here, but you can use any mix of white or traditional cheddar.
- lemon juice: Gives the dip a lighter, fresher vibe.
- Worcestershire sauce: Only two teaspoons but adds some depth of flavor!
How to make crab dip:
- Make sure your cream cheese is soft and room temperature.
- Whisk the ingredients together (except the crab meat) until combined.
- Fold in the jumbo lump crab meat gently to preserve those luscious lumps!
- Bake it for a quick 10 minutes until it’s hot and bubbly. Then, broil it for another 1 – 2 minutes so the top gets golden brown. If you want to try to make this a crockpot crab dip or prep it ahead it in your slow cooker, set it to low for 3 – 4 hours until the dip is hot and creamy.
Healthier hot crab dip is the perfect party appetizer or indulgent weekend snack! It’s cheesy and creamy, and comes together in under 30 minutes!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese + a couple extra tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- 2 green onions (scallions) chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 2 – 3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 16 oz. jump lump crab meat
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Make sure your cream cheese is room temperature. If it’s not, softened it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise, and garlic to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add in 6 oz. shredded cheese, green onions, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and Old Bay seasoning. Fold together until combined.
- Add in the crab meat. Gently fold until the crab meat is incorporated.
- Transfer the dip to an oven-proof skillet or casserole dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining couple tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Optional: sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay on top of the dip before baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes until it appears melted and bubbling.
- Turn the broiler to high and broil for 1 – 2 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serving Size: serves 8
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Sodium: 531g
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated Fat: 10.6g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 17.6g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
Keywords: hot crab dip recipe, crab dip with cream cheese, crockpot crab dip, best crab dip, how to make crab dip, crab meat dip, baked crab dip, easy crab dip