Creamy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
Some exciting news everyone!! We’re spending some time in California this November! I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to explore a new place, and have a new adventure with our little family. We are going to be in the San Diego area, so if you have any suggestions for restaurants, beaches, hikes, shops, yoga spots, etc., let me know!!
It’s soup season, y’all! There’s something super soupy about falling leaves, jeans, and flannel. I mean who doesn’t want to be lounging in a pumpkin patch, breathing the crisp autumn air, warming their hands and hearts with a bowl of soup? Right. Everyone wants to.
I came across a cauliflower soup in my internet travels and I set out to make my own version. I feel like cauliflower soup is where comfort food meets healthiness. It’s like a “skinny” soup that’s standing on the edge, about to fall into the depths of the comfort, junk food abyss. It hangs over the edge, just to peek, just enough to breathe in that cheesy, decadent air. Then, it pulls back with a smirk. “Not me,” he says, “They won’t accept my kind down there.”
So ballsy, cauli soup. You keep doing you.
So I had a bit of a panic moment when I sat down at the table with a mere bowl of soup and looked across to Jaryd. There was an air that made me feel like maybe one bowl of soup wouldn’t be enough. Maybe I should go back into the kitchen and whip up five more things because soup couldn’t be enough, right? WRONG! I was so full and happy after this one, simple bowl. It was like the autumn moons aligned and flannel everywhere rejoiced.
So let’s make some Creamy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup:
Coarsely chop your onions. Don’t worry about them being perfect because they are just going in the blender in a bit.
In a large pot (mine was borderline too small – I have a hard time estimating any type of appropriate container), add the olive oil, garlic, and onions. Sauté for about five minutes over medium-high heat, until the onions begin to brown.
Add the cauliflower florets, vegetable broth, milk, and sea salt. If you are going vegetarian, use vegetable broth.
Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork. I put a lid on mine but kept it cracked. I swear every time I walked away from the stove it began to bubble over. It happened at least twice. So, I just stood there next to the pot and yelled at my children from the kitchen 😉
Head over to the food processor (you can use any blending device). In two batches, add the cauli mixture to the food proccesor. Add half the cheese with each batch.
Puree mixture until it is smooth, a good minute. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides, and turn it on again. Place pureed soup in a pot over low heat to keep it warm.Print
This vegetarian Creamy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup is the perfect bowl to warm up with! The cauliflower keeps it light and healthy and the cheddar adds such a fun, indulgent taste.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet onion, coarsely cut
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut in florets
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk (unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk works too)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot add the olive oil, garlic, and onions.
- Sauté for about five minutes over medium-high heat, until the onions begin to soften and brown.
- Add the cauliflower florets, vegetable broth, milk, and sea salt.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork. I put a lid on mine but kept it cracked.
- Once the cauliflower is soft, add half of the cauli mixture to the food processor along with 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Puree mixture until it is smooth, a good minute. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides, and turn it on again to make sure it’s all smooth.
- Place pureed soup in a pot over low heat to keep it warm.
- Serving Size: 6
What’s your favorite fall soup? Enjoy!! xo