I’ve always had a sweet spot for olive oil cake. As someone that absolutely loves butter, the first time I had olive oil cake I was kinda blown away.
It was moist and fluffy and incredibly rich. It made me re-think all my baked goods and wonder if maybe I should make them with an olive oil.
Because I’m a chocolate enthusiast, I made this a chocolate olive oil cake and I can’t wait for you to try!
This chocolate olive oil cake is:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Made in one bowl
- Simple to make
Ingredients for chocolate olive oil cake:
Extra virgin olive oil. Get some good quality olive oil. Technically you can sub in any other butter or oil that you prefer, but then is it really an olive oil cake anymore?
Eggs. I haven’t tested it with flax eggs or vegan eggs, but if you experiment, I’d love to know how it goes!
Coconut sugar. You can sub in another granular sugar here if you prefer!
Blanched almond flour. I always go for super-fine blanched almond flour, but if you can’t do almonds, you can try oat flour just reduce the amount you use by 1/4 cup or so.
Cocoa powder. Gives it that chocolatey richness!
Baking powder. To fluff up this cake!
Salt. To balance it out and bring out the flavors!
Powdered sugar. To make it all pretty to serve. Powdered sugar is optional, but fun 🙂
How to make chocolate olive oil cake:
Whisk. First the wet ingredients and then add in the dry ingredients.
Pour. Grease the pan and then pour the batter into the pan.
Bake. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the top is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from the pan. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Use a butter knife to slide around the edges of the cake. Turn the cake over and tap on the bottom to release it from the pan. Place another plate on the bottom of the cake to flip it again so the top is facing up.
Sprinkle. Once cool, sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar and cut into 12 slices.
Want to add more chocolate? Drizzle some on top! Check out my tutorial How to Melt Chocolate Chips!
More chocolate recipes to try:
- Fudgey Chocolate Strawberry Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Scones
- Chocolate Quinoa Crisps
- Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cake
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Whisk together the olive oil, eggs, and coconut sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt to the bowl.
- Whisk again until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Place a circle piece of parchment paper on the bottom of a 9 inch circle cake pan. Grease the pan with additional olive oil.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the top is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Use a butter knife to slide around the edges of the cake. Turn the cake over and tap on the bottom to release it from the pan.
- Place another plate on the bottom of the cake to flip it again so the top is facing up.
- Allow the cake to cool and come to room temperature.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar and cut into 12 slices.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 10.8g
- Sodium: 115mg
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 41mg