Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Yeah you read that right. MacarOOns. You know, those coconutty chewy yummies that make you feel like you’re eating an Almond Joy. Not those fancy French macarOns that are like beautifully colored mini hamburgers. If you’re confused, see the above picture to know what I’m talking about.
So a few blocks from where I live, there is this place called Famous 4th Street Deli. It has the most delicious macaroons you could ever want. They are crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and dipped in chocolate. Pretty much all you could ever want in a macaroon. When I was pregnant I made it a bit of a tradition to walk the few blocks to get my macaroon and proceed to eat it on the walk home. A treat that I undoubtedly deserved.
One time, upon my walk home, my precious macaroon fell on the dirty, scummy, gray-brown stained Philly sidewalk shortly after I took the first bite. I hesitated. I whimpered. Can pregnant women still claim the three second rule? Can I brush any noticeable debris off and proceed as planned? Can I break away and sacrifice the crunchy outer shell and just enjoy the chewy middle?
I probably would have done all three if there was no one around holding me accountable for my actions. But alas, Jaryd was there with a look of utter disgust, not wasting a second to remind me of potential rodent hair and fecal matter that could accompany my next bite. And so, into the trash it went. Devastating, really.
Maybe I’ll never replicate those Famous 4th macaroons, but I’ll tell you, these are pretty. damn. close.
So here’s how you make delicious Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons:
Beat your egg whites until they begin to bubble. Add the salt and melted butter and continue to whip until firm peaks form. Gently fold in the coconut and agave.
Then, on a lined baking sheet, make 12 macaroons. Do your best to make a tight ball of the macaroon batter into a mound. Mine were pretty good at staying in balls. Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the bottoms and tops are crunchy golden brown. Move to cooling rack.
Resist the urge to eat them all because I promise it gets better…
Melt your chocolate in the microwave. I put it in for a minute, stirred, and then popped it in for another 30 seconds. The chocolate should be totally smooth. Add the coconut oil and stir until completely smooth and drizzly.
Dip the bottom of each macaroon into the bowl and place them on a piece of parchment paper. Once they are all dipped, drizzle the melted chocolate on top of each macaroon. Place in fridge or freezer for about 5 minutes to allow chocolate to harden.
You will die over these healthier Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons!! So fluffy and dense and perfectly delicious! They’re refined sugar free, low glycemic, gluten free, and paleo friendly!!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (ghee works too)
- 3 tablespoons agave (honey or maple syrup if you prefer)
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup 60% cacao dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whip the egg whites until it they start to bubble.
- Add the salt and melted butter.
- Continue to whip until fluffy and white and peaks are firm.
- Fold in the agave and shredded coconut.
- Form 12 round mounds on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- When finished baking, set aside on a cooling rack.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds, stirring after the first minute.
- Add the coconut oil and warm the chocolate until smooth and drizzly.
- Dip the bottom of each macaroon into the bowl and place them on a piece of parchment paper.
- Once they are all dipped, drizzle the melted chocolate on top of each macaroon.
- Pinch a sprinkle of sea salt on top of each macaroon.
- Place in fridge or freezer for about 5 minutes to allow chocolate to harden.
- Serving Size: 12
Enjoy these delicious mountains of glory!! xo