I used to eat Almond Joys pretty meticulously as a kid. First, I’d bite off the almond. Then, nibble off the chocolate layer. Aaand I’d finish it off savoring the chewy coconut one slow bite at a time. I loved them. Almond Joys were my go-to candy. I mean…
…besides Reese’s and Snickers and that king size KitKat I’d get every Friday when I went to the movies with my friend Laura… but you get it. They were my trifecta (quadfecta?) of sugar heaven.
In a recent grocery store trip I spotted those almond joys and had a lightbulb moment. Maaaybe I should make my own? So, I hopped into my kitchen, threw a few things in my food processor and magic, my friends, magic.
I’m also happy to report that my husband liked them, my kids liked them, and IIII liked them (obviously). These come together super quick, and they’re such a fun treat!
Healthy Almond Joys
Homemade and healthy almond joy candies that only have FIVE ingredients and are low carb, gluten free, and vegan! Can’t wait for you to try these!!
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 6 – 8 raw almonds
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (60% cacao or more)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (to mix in with the chocolate)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, for topping
- Place the coconut, agave nectar, coconut oil, and sea salt in your food processor.
- Process until sticky and clumps together, taking time to scrape down the sides to get everything processed together.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a cutting board.
- Use your hands to form oval shapes and place on the parchment paper.
- Lay one almond on each mound.
- In a bowl, mix together the melted chocolate chips and 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil until drizzly.
- Place a mound in the chocolate bowl and spoon the chocolate over the mound until it’s coated.
- Use a fork to lift the mound up and drip off any excess chocolate.
- Place it back on the parchment paper and continue until all the candies are coated.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes, store in fridge until ready to eat.
Serving (1 candy): Calories 111; Fat 8.8g (Sat 7.2g); Protein 0.8g; Carb 8.6g (net carb 7.7g); Fiber 0.9g; Sodium 118mg
Hope you guys LOVE these healthy almond joys!! Enjoy!! xo
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe