One of my favorite things to eat is sushi. Without fail, whenever Jaryd asks what we want to order in or where we want to grab food I’m all eager beaver, “sushi?!” without hesitation. I’m pretty stuck in my ways and get the same rolls over and over.
I used to be more adventurous, but I developed some aversions during my pregnancies that haven’t completely gone away. I ain’t mad, though, I am a-ok eating the same sushi rolls over and over without getting sick of them.
As I thought about my sushi love, I kept asking myself – how can I make this an easy, everyday meal? How could I make this so someone could pack it for lunch or make it for an easy and fun party appetizer. I took fuss out of the equation by nixing the rice, and I love that you just roll these up and don’t have to deal with the tight roll and the perfect slicing needs specialty training. I’m telling you guys, this recipe is no fuss but fulllll the fun.
If you want some more rice-less sushi inspo, check out this baby HERE!! So let’s make some Spicy California Hand Rolls!
Julienne your carrot and cucumber, and slice your avocado. Lay out the nori sheet with the shiny side up.
Turn it on a diagonal and place the carrots, cucumbers, avocado, and kani in the center. Fold up the bottom.
Wet your fingers and fold the sides across. Hold for a minute until it sticks. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallion.
For the spicy mayo, whisk together the mayo, hot sauce, and agave nectar in a bowl. Drizzle or dip your hand rolls into the mayo.
- 1/2 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 4 sticks kani krab
- 4 nori wraps
- sesame seeds
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Julienne your carrot and cucumber, and slice your avocado.
- Lay out the nori sheet with the shiny side up.
- Turn it on a diagonal and place the carrots, cucumbers, avocado, and kani in the center.
- Fold up the bottom.
- Wet your fingers and dampen the shiny sides.
- Fold the sides across.
- Hold for a minute until it sticks together.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallion.
- For the spicy mayo, whisk together the mayo, hot sauce, and agave nectar in a bowl.
- Drizzle or dip your hand rolls into the spicy mayo.
Serving: Calories 75; Fat 6.1g (Sat 1.2g); Protein 1.3g; Carb 5.3g (net carb 2.8g); Fiber 2.5g; Sodium 41mg