Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies
The other day I got a message from a reader asking if I had any good lactation cookies on the blog. YES! My mind jumped up from a sleepy morning to shout I HAVE THE BEST LACTATION COOKIE RECIPE.
Only, I didn’t shout it to anyone, I said it excitedly to myself, in my brain. I searched my house for my old recipe box. If you are unfamiliar with a recipe box because you have grown up always having the internet (haha kinda joking), it’s a box that you put little cards in and on each card there is a recipe that you have made or has been handed down to you, or has been given to you by a friend.
I found my recipe box tucked away in a cabinet. The box I used to cook from before I had a blog. I dug out the lactation cookie recipe that I used to LIVE on when I had my babies. And I blasted it onto the internet.
Listen, the time I spent breastfeeding my babies are some of the best, happiest times in my life. The snuggles, the sweet moments, the bond. Seriously, I’m so happy I was able to do it. But, breastfeeding, getting the hang of it, engorgement, pumping, mastitis, late night feedings… there are some difficult moments.
For me, these lactation cookies were a fun little treat just for those moments when I was needing a little pick me up or some encouragement or just needed a smile. Sometimes we give so much of ourselves and for me these cookies were a little moment just for me… you know?
Anyway, let’s make these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies! You don’t need to be lactating to eat them. No, you won’t start lactating to eat them. They’re safe for a whole family. If you have zero interest in the milk supply aspect, you can leave out the Brewer’s yeast and just make some yummy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
Three ingredients in here help support and boost milk supply: flax seed, oatmeal, and Brewer’s Yeast. I love that they’re totally appropriate as a breakfast cookie, but also feel super indulgent for a midnight snack.
Combine the water and flax seed meal in a small bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes. This will turn into a flax egg.
I used an ice cream scooper to scoop balls into my hands. Pack them in your hands super tight and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan. Reshape the cookies with your hands (if needed) and store in the fridge. I find they really congeal after you pop them in the fridge for an hour or so!Print
These gluten free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies are perfect whether you’re a new mom or just wanting a fun treat for the whole family! Super simple, filling, and packed with wholesome ingredients!
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 1/2 cup ghee (butter or coconut oil also works)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Brewer’s yeast
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- couple pinches of sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the water and flax seed meal in a small bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes. This will turn into a flax egg.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the ghee (butter or coconut oil works too), coconut sugar, Brewer’s yeast, and vanilla.
- Add the flax egg to the large bowl and whisk everything together.
- Add the oats, coconut, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold everything together.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop balls into your hands.
- Pack them in your hands super tight and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan.
- Once cool, reshape the cookies with your hands (if needed) and store in the fridge. I find they really congeal after you pop them in the fridge for an hour or so!
- Please note that not all brewer’s yeasts are gluten free. Check out this one that I use that is certified gluten free 🙂
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase one of the products I linked to, I’ll receive a small portion of the sale. I only share products that I use regularly and love. Thank you so much for your support!! Enjoy!! xo