I’ve always been kind of intimidated to attempt a whole roasted chicken. I think because Thanksgiving turkeys seem like such a big deal I’ve always had it in my head that roasting a whole chicken was similarly tenuous.
Guys. I was wrong. I had a frozen chicken sitting in the back of my freezer and thought it was about time to defrost and give it a whirl. It was juicy. The outside was crispy. It was flavorful and so delicious!
I’m someone that usually sticks to legs and thighs. I’m a juicy dark meat kind of girl but for this whole roasted chicken recipe, I snag some white meat too because it is so moist and juicy.
ingredients for whole roasted chicken:
- whole chicken – this goes without saying, no?
- butter – I haven’t tried this recipe with ghee, avocado oil, or refined coconut oil, but I think they could be great options if you’re looking for a lactose free and dairy free option!
- spices – I love the combination of smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. They add a really great flavor and spice to the chicken without being too spice or overpowering. My kids are generally sensitive to things that are “too spicy” but their favorite part of this chicken was the skin, so this spice mixture is super family-friendly in my opinion!
how to roast a whole chicken:
- Preheat the oven.
- Take out the neck and anything that was stuffed inside the bird cavity. Sometimes there is nothing, sometimes there is a paper pouch with giblets. It’s worth checking to make sure there’s nothing inside.
- Brush the bird with half the butter and stick the other half of butter inside the bird.
- Pat the spices all over the bird. Some people rub the butter and spices in between the skin and the meat. Honestly, I feel like this is above and beyond and have been super happy just brushing and patting the outer layer.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Brush/baste the bird with the juices that have accumulated at the bottom of the baking dish.
- Roast some more, about 45 minutes, until the internal of the chicken temperature reaches 165F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 15 – 20 minutes then cut into it.
what to serve with this roast chicken:
- buttermilk cornbread
- roasted balsamic brussels sprouts
- cinnamon carrot fries
- lemon + avocado kale salad
- roasted rainbow carrots with tahini drizzle
- 1 (2 – 3 pound) chicken
- 1/2 cup salted butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- optional: 1 tablespoon of chopped herbs like sage or fresh oregano to add some green
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Remove and discard the neck and anything stuffed inside the cavity of the bird.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Pace the chicken in a baking dish breast-side up.
- Melt 1/4 cup of the butter in a small dish.
- Stick the other 1/4 cup stick of butter inside the chicken.
- Brush the bird with the melted butter.
- Combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture on top of the butter and pat the spices onto the outside of the bird.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, use the brush to baste the bird and brush the outside with the juices that have collected at the bottom of the baking dish.
- Roast for an additional 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and sprinkle with chopped herbs if using. Allow it to rest for 15 – 20 minutes before cutting into it.