Funfetti cake is one of those desserts that just puts a smile on your face. It’s light, fluffy, and loaded with colorful sprinkle bursts.
This is the kind of cake that makes for the perfect birthday cake or any celebration!
I made this into a square cake, but you could also make cupcakes if you want!
What is funfetti?
I’m actually shocked that spellcheck is constantly putting red dots whenever I type out funfetti!
Funfetti cake is a white cake or vanilla cake loaded up with sprinkles. It’s a party in a cake and it’s guaranteed to bring smiles.
Ingredients for Funfetti Cake:
- unsalted butter, softened: you could also use ghee or probably refined coconut oil as well, though I haven’t tried it. Check out my favorite trick for How to Soften Butter!
- 3 eggs: I haven’t tested it with flax eggs or vegan eggs, so not sure how it wold work. If you do any experimenting, please let me know how it goes!
- agave nectar: honey or maple syrup also works as a sub if you prefer them.
- vanilla extract: for that classic vanilla flavor
- blanched almond flour: for the fine, pastry color
- coconut flour: gives it an added “cakey” flavor. I don’t use coconut flour often, but when I do, it’s usually 1/4 cup or less.
- baking powder
- sprinkles: I love the long sprinkles because they keep the color and give the funfetti cake a colorful burst when you cut into them. Be careful about those smaller ball sprinkles – they tend to melt into the cake and muddy it up.
What should I frost my funfetti cake with:
Great question! In this recipe I’m using my favorite vanilla buttercream frosting. Feel free to customize the color of the frosting by adding in a couple drops of food coloring! Blue and pink frosting on top of funfetti cake is so fun!
If you don’t love vanilla frosting and are more into the chocolate vibe, give this paleo chocolate frosting a try! Chocolate cake is very non-traditional for funfetti cake, but I also don’t believe in artificial societal norms that make zero sense when you actually think about them, so you do you boo. No judgment here!
How to make gluten free funfetti cake:
It’s so simple and you can make it all in one bowl! First, soften your butter if you haven’t set it out ahead of time. Pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Add the eggs, agave nectar, and vanilla to the bowl. Cream together until smooth.
Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Mix again until combined. Finally, fold in all those beautiful funfetti sprinkles.
I love using rainbow sprinkles here, but you can really customize the sprinkles for any occasion!
Fold a piece of parchment paper so it drapes across two sides of an 8×8 square pan. I find this to be the neatest way to line your square pan.
Transfer the batter into the pan and spread it out in an even layer. Bake for 25 – 27 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- frosting – I use my vanilla buttercream frosting
- extra sprinkles for decorating the icing
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Soften the butter if you haven’t set it out ahead of time. Pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, agave nectar, and vanilla to the bowl. Cream together until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl.
- Mix again until combined.
- Finally, fold in all those beautiful funfetti sprinkles.
- Fold a piece of parchment paper so it drapes across two sides of an 8×8 square pan.
- Transfer the batter into the pan and spread it out in an even layer.
- Bake for 25 – 27 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cool, frost the cake with vanilla buttercream and top with sprinkles.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 14.4g
- Sodium: 238mg
- Fat: 16.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24.2g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 82mg