I’m always looking for fun and new breakfasts because it’s one meal I’m always struggling to keep healthy. Jaryd is an egg guy and could probably eat eggs every morning for ever and ever, the end. I get sick of eating one thing over and over and so I’m constantly need variety.
Girl need options, know what I’m saying?! Well, magic happened recently. I was running low on groceries and and only had a few veggies and eggs left. I decided to wing it and man, oh man, was it a win.
I don’t know why we tend to reserve breakfast for sweet stuff while savory veggies are eaten later in the day. When I start my day with veggies, I feel like it sets the tone for the whole day. I make better choices for my snacks and meals, and I feel like packing my breakfast with veggies doesn’t give me that mid-morning hanger.
I’m a strong advocate that veggies need to happen all. damn. day. K, ima step down off this veggie crate from which I am apparently shouting into the interweb abyss EEEAAATT YOOOO VEGGIEESS.
Anywho, I love this one pan breakfast! It’s so stinking easy, the flavors are on point, and I know you’ll love it. So let’s make an egg skillet with the most delish veggie hash!!
Sauté the sweet potato in ghee over medium-high heat in an oven proof pan. You can also use butter or whatever cooking oil you have in.
After about five minutes, add the onion, pepper, zucchini, and garlic. Continue to cook until the veggies are browned and reduced, about 7 minutes. Add more ghee as needed.
Add the sausage and cook another couple minutes until browned.
Use a spoon to make three divots or holes in the veggie hash. Crack the eggs, putting one in each hole.
Continue to cook on low heat for a couple minutes, then broil on high for 2-3 minutes until the clear part of the egg turns white.
Scoop onto plates or bowls and enjoy!!
Want to save this for later? I made this awesome Pinterest-friendly image for you!!
Vegetable Egg Bake
Start your day off with the most satisfying breakfast, packed with vegetables!! This Egg Skillet + Veggie Hash is low carb, gluten free, and whole 30!!
- 2 tablespoons ghee (butter or any cooking oil)
- 1 sweet potato, cut in cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, cut in slices then in halves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. precooked chicken sausage (I used sweet Italian, but use any flavor you like!)
- 3 eggs
- Sauté the sweet potato in ghee over medium-high heat in an oven proof pan.
- After about five minutes, add the onion, pepper, zucchini, and garlic. Continue to cook until the veggies are browned and reduced, about 7 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook another couple minutes until browned.
- Use a spoon to make three divets or holes in the veggie hash.
- Crack the eggs, putting one in each hole.
- Continue to cook on low heat for a couple minutes, then broil on high for 2-3 minutes until the clear part of the egg turns white.
- Scoop into bowls and enjoy!!
I used caramelized onion meatballs, but you can really use whatever meat and flavor you like – sausage, spicy meatballs, your choice!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 674
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 253mg
- Fat: 46g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 26g
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 51g
- Cholesterol: 291mg
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe