It’s getting a bit chilly in the mornings which means fall is upon us!! Don’t get me wrong, I refuse to abandon my shorts and flip flops just yet, but it is putting me in the mood for some random bursts of flannel and perhaps I’ll consider closed toe shoes. MAYYYBE. For now I’m riding out that “I just moved to California” vibe and am soaking it all in.
We bought a tent too which means we’re ready to go camping. One of my favorite things about camping, aside from the hiking and the views, is the S’MORES!!!! There, I said it. Camping and s’mores go hand in hand and and should never be separated.
After we graduated college, Jaryd and I went on a six week long cross-country road trip. We hiked and camped in a ton of national parks and existed solely on trail mix, canned beans, and s’mores. Oh, and a giant jug of water that we carried around with us everywhere like it was our baby. Not in a weird way, but in a “this is my jug of water because I’m thirsty” way.
Anyway, as the temps are chilling a bit, I thought it would be fun to do a twist on the traditional s’more, but this time making it vegan, refined sugar-free, low carb, and gluten free!! Woot woot!! These were so fun to make, I can’t even tell you how smiley I was during the whole process.
My favorite part (aside from eating them) is my new KitchenAid® Artisan® Mini Mixer. I love it, you guys!! It’s a mini!! It’s the perfect mixer for keeping out on your counter and is one of my favorite new appliances! I’m one of those people that lines my appliances up on my counter like little soldiers ready to go. I love how seamlessly the Mini Mixer stands with all the other appliances. And, because I keep it out, I’ve used it so much more than my larger mixer that I’ve kept tucked away all these years.
In the spirit of the Mini Mixer, I made mini s’more cups because I’m all about those mini moments in your life. Those moments that you pause during the day and do something just for yourself. You make yourself a coffee and breathe in the smell of that first sip. You stop, look up from your phone, and soak in the view or feel the sun on your face. Or my fave, you saunter into the kitchen to grab something yummy and take a moment to soak in each yummy bite.
I think these mini cups are perfect for those little moments you take for yourself. Since I know you want to get things going, let’s make some Mini Vegan S’more Cups!!
Add the sliced almonds, hemp hearts, almond flour, sea salt, and cacao powder in your food processor. Process until chopped and combined. Add the agave and process again until the crust balls up. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor and chop up the ball. Process again for about 5 seconds.
Line the mini muffin tins with papers and divide the crust into each, pressing it into the bottoms and sides. Place them in the freezer until your fluff is ready.
Here’s where things get fun. You know aquafaba? This blew my mind. When you “drain and rinse” chickpeas, the stuff you drain is called aquafaba and is actually quite magical. So grab a can of chickpeas, drain it, and keep the aquafaba.
Place the aquafaba in your Mini Mixer and mix it on high until things get fluffy. Keep the mixer on and add the vanilla and agave. Keep mixing on high until it is super fluffy. This will produce a lot more fluff than you need, so save some for a PB&Fluff sandwich 😉
Grab the chilly crusts and scoop some fluff into each one. Melt the chocolate chips and drizzle on top. You can either eat immediately or place in the fridge for 10-30 minutes to harden the chocolate.Print
Save that water from your chickpea can and make these Aquafaba Mini Vegan S’more Cups! They’re light and fluffy but make a perfect gluten free treat.
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 cup aquafaba, chickpeas removed (or 1 can chickpeas, chickpeas removed and retain remaining aquafaba)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, melted
- In a food processor combine the sliced almonds, hemp hearts, almond flour, sea salt, and cacao powder. Process until well chopped and combined.
- Add the agave and process about 20 seconds or until it begins to stick together. Scrape down the sides and process for another 10-20 seconds until it balls up.
- Press the batter into lined mini muffin tins. Make sure to press it up the edges and leaving a little divot in the center.
- In your KitchenAid® Artisan® Mini Mixer, combine together the aquafaba, vanilla, and agave nectar. Turn the mixer onto high and whip until it becomes fluffy (I think it’s hard to overwhip it), about 3 minutes.
- Scoop the whip into the individual muffin tins.
- Place in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Serve immediately or place in fridge for chocolate to harden and then serve!
- Per cup: Calories 107; Fat 6.8g (Sat 1.2g); Protein 3.1g; Carb 9.0g (net carb 7.2g); Fiber 1.8g; Sodium 52mg