Sometimes I just throw things into a bowl and they turn out unexpectedly delicious. Its great because then you get some yummy eats, but sometimes I get bummed out that I didn’t take pictures and record every measurement. haha It’s like I forget I’m a food blogger or something!! What was I thinking?!
The other day I wanted to surprise J with a picnic in the park. He’s been studying like crazy for his boards and I thought it would be a fun treat to meet up with him appetizers and cold beers. I made the aforementioned fruit salad, an avocado hummus, I even made homemade tortilla chips out of low carb wraps. I had this thing PLANNED.
I packed up all the goodies. The skies were looking dark but the forecast said no rain for another couple hours. We were in the clear. I laid out the blankets, set up all the appetizers, took pictures (obviously) and we sat. We wrangled the kids, ate a few bites, and then felt some drops.
Thanks weather app. NOT. I’m currently rolling my eyes at the weather app in the same way we used to roll our eyes at the weatherman. But usually when two things illicit the same response you should look closer at the common denominator = weather. I supposed the true troublemaker is the weather.
I needed a math tutor growing up, but I feel like my use of the word denominator would make her proud.
Anyway, after the rain drops got to the point of no return, we packed up our food and by the time we got home the sun was back out. It wasn’t meant to be.
So, we ate our berry salad at our table and Jaryd said, “You know what I like about this fruit salad?” Me: “……. what?” J ever so eloquently said: “That it’s a salad, made solely of fruit. Like salad dressing and everything, but all berries.” Nailed it.
It was unexpectedly delicious. I mean, we expected a berry salad, but it was absolutely THE BEST berry salad (or fruit salad for that matter) of my life. I think there are two keys to this salad that separate it from other berry/fruit salads. I think the avocado oil gives it an amazing flavor that’s really smooth, and unique. Second, I think the mint adds a really refreshing dimension to it that screams summer.
I love this for the 4th of July or Memorial Day, but it would be absolutely perfect for any backyard BBQ. So let’s make this gorgeous and delicious Red White & Blue Berry Salad!! I swear you will be as obsessed as me!!
Rinse your berries and pat them dry.
Cut the stems off the strawberries and slice them lengthwise. Place in a large bowl.
Remove any stems from the blueberries, and place the blueberries and blackberries in the bowl.
Grab a handful of mint (my handful is about 1/4 cup, I have elegant hand-model hands FYI, NOT MAN HANDS). Chop the mint and put it in the bowl.
Add the feta and mix everything together.
When you’re done mixing and ready to serve, I always add another quick sprinkle of feta on top. If you’re not into feta, you can also try halved mozzarella balls, blue cheese crumbles, or goat cheese!
Serve in shooters! Or, let people scoop their own!
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 12 strawberries
- 1 handful mint, chopped (about 1/4 cup before chopping)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 cup feta + 1 tablespoon for top sprinkling
- Rinse your berries and pat them dry.
- Cut the stems off the strawberries and slice them lengthwise. Place in a large bowl.
- Remove any stems from the blueberries, and place the blueberries and blackberries in the bowl.
- Grab a handful of mint (about 1/4 cup), chop it, and put it in the bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil, 1 tablespoon agave nectar, and 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar to the bowl.
- Add the feta and toss everything together.
- Sprinkle additional feta on top hen you're ready to serve.
- This is best when eaten immediately after preparation.
- If you don't like feta, you can also try halved mozzarella balls, blue cheese crumbles, or goat cheese!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked, I receive a portion of the sale. Thanks for supporting thetoastedpinenut.com! xo