Parmesan Smashed Brussels Sprouts
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One of my favorite veggie side dishes are Brussels sprouts. If you had told me 20 years ago that Brussels sprouts would be a favorite of mine… I would have given you a weird look and and said “no way Jose.” But yet, here we are.
Roasted Brussels. I love their crispy outside and soft centers. They’re the perfect green veg to serve alongside basically anything because of their ability to be delicious with minimal seasoning, or dressed up with all the fix-ins.
Ingredients for smashed Brussels sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts
- avocado oil (spray or drizzle)
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- grated Parmesan
How to make smashed Brussels sprouts:
Boil the Brussels. The first step in this recipe is to trim off the ends of the Brussels and boil them in water.
Smash the Brussels. Drain the boiled Brussels and arrange them on a lined baking sheet. Use the bottom of a mason jar or glass and press down to smash the Brussels.
Season. Spray the smashed Brussels with avocado oil spray, then sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, pepper and grated Parmesan.
Bake and enjoy!
Can I prep these smashed Brussels ahead?
Yes! There are two ways you can prep these smashed Brussels ahead, depending how much prep work you want to do. First, you can keep them raw and trim off the ends to prep them so they’re ready for boiling and then smashing. Keep the trimmed Brussels in an airtight container or bag in the fridge.
If you want to prep these a little more, you can trim the Brussels, boil them, and dry them. Once they’re cool and dry, you can place them in an airtight container or bag and store them in the fridge so you can later smash and roast them.
How to store leftovers:
Keep your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days. When you’re ready to reheat, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and reheat in the oven until they are warmed through. You can also use a toaster oven, but a microwave won’y achieve the same crispy edges.
Balsamic Drizzle. One of my favorite things to drizzle on vegetables is balsamic reduction. It’s sweet and tangy and gives tons of flavor to your veggies that you don’t really have to work for! Just buy a bottle of balsamic reduction and you’re set!
Dip them in ranch. Another great way to eat these is to dip them in ranch dressing! Serve them with a little bowl for easy dipping!
Switch up the cheese. I used grated Parmesan because it really sticks to the outside of the Brussels and gives it a good coating. You can also use shredded cheese if you prefer and switch up what kind of cheese you use! Try cheddar, pepper jack, gouda or swiss!
More vegetable side dishes to try:
- Shaved Brussel Sprouts + Spicy Mustard Sauce
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Jicama Fries
- Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Fries
- Coconut Crusted Green Beans + Cashew Dip
Smashed Brussels Sprouts are flattened, then roasted, so they have lots of crispy edges. Sprinkle them with parmesan or dip them in dressing!
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (spray or drizzle)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Trim the flat ends off your Brussels sprouts.
- Boil the Brussels for 8 minutes until they are bright green and easily pierced with toothpick or fork.
- Drain the sprouts and pat dry.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the Brussels on the baking pan.
- Use the bottom of a mason jar or glass to press down on the Brussels to smash them.
- Spray or drizzle the Brussels sprouts with avocado oil.
- Sprinkle the tops with garlic powder, salt, pepper and Parmesan.
- Roast in the oven for 18 – 20 minutes until the leaves are crispy and browned.
- Transfer to a plate and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 the pan
- Calories: 93
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 439mg
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: smashed Brussels sprouts,