Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I am anxiously awaiting the squash growing in my garden. It’s growing, I see it. But you see… it’s small.
Lately I feel like I’m seeing bountiful zucchini gardens and I’m sitting here next to my puny little zucchini nugget waiting for it to grow so I can make more healthy chocolate zucchini muffins.
I due time.. in due time.
Other zucchini recipes you’ll love:
- lemon zucchini burrata pasta
- almond flour chocolate chip zucchini muffins
- vegan zucchini chickpea burgers
- chocolate chip zucchini cookies
- zucchini bread
Ingredients for chocolate zucchini muffins:
- zucchini: Make sure to grate it, squeeze all the liquid out, then measure it.
- almond butter: feel free to sub in your favorite nut or seed butter! Peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, or even tahini would work!
- agave nectar: honey, coconut nectar or maple syrup works! Just go for a sticky sweetener. I haven’t tested this recipe with a granular sweetener, so not sure how something like coconut sugar would turn out.
- eggs: also flax eggs may be a good option!
- butter: ghee or refined coconut oil can also be subbed in
- cocoa powder
- blanched almond flour
- baking powder
- dark chocolate chips
How to make healthy chocolate zucchini muffins:
- Grate the zucchini directly into a clean, thin dish towel. You could also use a paper towel or cheesecloth. I just always have extra dishtowels around so find it to be the quickest, easiest option.
- Keep the zucchini in the towel and place it in a strainer in the sink. This allows any excess moisture to seep out of the zucchini before you squeeze it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond butter, agave nectar, eggs, and butter. Then add the cocoa, almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk to combine.
- Squeeze any excess liquid from the zucchini and place the shredded zucchini into the bowl. Also add the chocolate chips and fold everything together.
- Line the muffin tins with papers and generously fill each muffin tin.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the tops puff up and are set.
- Remove from the oven and let stand in the pan for about 5 – 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Tips for these zucchini muffins:
- Squeeze squeeze squeeze!! You want to get as much moisture out of those little zucchini shreds to ensure you don’t have soggy muffins.
- Smaller shreds are better for small kids! Listen, if my kids see a fleck of green it’s a no go. I go for the smaller shredder hole and they can’t even detect the zucchini in these!
- Muffin liners! I love some good parchment paper muffin liners to easily remove the muffins from the tins!
Shop this post:
Healthy chocolate zucchini muffins made with almond flour and no refined sugar! Perfect for a delicious gluten free treat!
- 1 large zucchini, grated (about 1 cup after out squeeze the liquid out)
- 1/3 cup natural almond butter
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup salted grass-fed butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- two pinches sea salt
- 1/2 cup 60% cacao dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Grate the zucchini into a clean, thin dish towel.
- Keep it in the towel and place it in a strainer in the sink.
- In your bowl, whisk together the almond butter, agave nectar, eggs, and butter.
- Add the cocoa, almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add in the chocolate chips.
- Squeeze any excess liquid from the zucchini and place the shredded zucchini into the bowl. Fold everything together.
- Line the muffin tins with papers and fill each tin almost all the way.
- Bake for 30 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Let stand in the tins for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 42mg
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14.6g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
Keywords: zucchini muffins, chocolate zucchini muffins, gluten free chocolate zucchini muffins