Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One of my favorite things to get at restaurants is lettuces wraps! I love the rolled up lettuce crunch followed by the delicious sauce dripping down your hand.
I love the flavors and I love how everyone kinda does it differently. Mm, let’s take a minute to imagine that first bite.
These healthy chicken lettuce wraps make for the perfect weeknight dinner the whole family will love! They’re full of flavor and crunch, it’ll be impossible to only eat one.
Ingredients for healthy chicken lettuce wraps:
The ingredient list seems like a lot, but honestly you probably already have most of these in your pantry!
- avocado oil
- red bell pepper
- garlic cloves
- ground chicken
- water chestnuts
- tamari (or soy sauce)
- sesame oil
- white wine vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- natural almond butter
- coconut sugar (agave nectar, honey or maple syrup works too)
- fish sauce
- garlic powder
- ground ginger (fresh ginger works too)
- green leaf lettuce – butter lettuce, bibb lettuce, romaine, or icrberg lettuce also works
- sliced or chopped almonds
- white sesame seeds
How to make healthy lettuce wraps:
Cook the chicken mixture. This involves the onion, pepper, chicken, garlic and water chestnuts.
Make the sauce. I find it easiest to put everything in a mason jar and just shake it to combine.
Wash and prep your lettuce wraps. And, set them out on plates.
Scoop. Add the chicken mixture into the leaves or serve in a big bowl for everyone to scoop into their own leaf.
Garnish. Top with chopped scallion, chopped almonds, and white sesame seeds. Serve with the sauce for pouring into the wrap or dipping!
What kind of lettuce should I use for lettuce wraps?
Green leaf lettuce. This is my favorite kind of lettuce to use because it has some structure by the base but still has frilly leaves that are super bendy to wrap up.
Bibb or Butter lettuce. This is probably the second best option in my opinion. The leaves are super bendy and soft which makes for a great wrap. the only problem in my opinion is they’re a bit too small for me 🙂
Iceberg. This has more structure and is typically what is served when you get lettuce wraps in restaurants. They’re bowl shaped and can wrap, but they do have some breaking and splitting when you do so.
Romaine. Not. My. Fave. For me, this is a last resort kinda situation. Will it make or break your dinner? No. Your lettuce wraps wil still be delicious. They don’t bend well, so I would think of them more as… chicken lettuce boats!
More chicken dinners to try:
- Juicy Whole Roasted Chicken
- Easy + Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Low Carb Caprese Chicken Skillet
- One Skillet Lemon Butter Chicken
Healthy chicken lettuce wraps make for a tasty Asian inspired dinner the whole family will love. The perfect low carb & gluten free meal!
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon natural almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (agave nectar, honey or maple syrup works too)
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (fresh ginger works too)
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- white sesame seeds for garnish
- In a pan over medium high heat, sauté the onion in avocado oil stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and continue to cook for a couple minutes for the peppers to soften.
- Add the garlic, and chicken and using a spatula to chop up the chicken.
- Cook the chicken until it is white and no longer translucent.
- Add the water chestnuts and turn the heat down to low.
- In a small mason jar or any container with a lid, combine the tamari, sesame oil, white wine vinegar, almond butter, coconut sugar, fish sauce, garlic powder, and ground ginger.
- Screw the lid on and shake up to combine.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of the sauce into the pan and reserve the rest for drizzling into the lettuce wraps,
- Stir the chicken mixture one more time and remove from heat.
- Wash and dry your green leaf lettuce (the best for wrapping!!) and set on a plate.
- Scoop the chicken mixture into the leaves or serve in a big bowl for everyone to scoop into their own leaf.
- Top with chopped scallion, chopped almonds, and white sesame seeds.
- Serve with the sauce for pouring into the wrap or dipping!
- Serving Size: 2 wraps
- Calories: 444
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 894mg
- Fat: 20.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 39.3g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
Keywords: healthy chicken lettuce wraps,