I’m a sucker for Chinese food. It’s one of those indulgences that are few and far between because rice is such a big part of it. I just love that saucy goodness that coats the rice and it’s so sweet and salty and savory.
This one time I went to the mall and had a leisurely occasion of shopping as an individual person without two “I hate shopping” little humans with me.
I went to the food court and got myself a plate of Chinese food. Yes I paid the extra dollar for fried rice. I don’t even know if it was an appropriate meal time. It could have been 10am for all I know. I just went for it. A big ol’ plate of crispy, saucy goodness. No regrets.
This is a recipe that I’ve been wanting to make for who knows how long and I finally decided to do ittt. Just doo ittt, right? I love the versatility of cauliflower and I feel like it’s the veggie that has totally reinvented itself. It’s like the Madonna of veggies.
You can definitely add some protein on top: chicken, tofu, shrimp. I mean, shrimp would be amazing. You could even just leave it as is because guys, it’s baller.
So my favorite new trick is making cauli rice and freezing it in a ziploc bag until I need it. It makes recipes ohhh so easy. Read how to make cauli rice here. Apparently Trader Joe’s sells cauli rice in the freezer section and so if you’re not into making your own, definitely look for it.
So let’s satisfy those tastebuds and make some Cauliflower Fried Rice:
I like to chop all my veggies before hand. Then when you get to the stage of throwing them in the pan, you’re not like “Oh shoot, let me chop them first.” And you chop as the rest of your recipe burns waiting. Been there.
In a large pan, place two tablespoons of the sesame oil, chopped carrot, chopped red pepper, and peas. Sauté over medium high heat for about 10 minutes. Add the cauli rice, minced garlic, and soy sauce, stirring frequently until cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the whisked eggs and stir constantly until the eggs are cooked through and scrambled throughout the rice. Add more soy sauce and sesame oil if desired. Place the cauli fried rice in a bowl or plate and top with a chopped scallion and sesame seeds.
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- ⅓ cup carrot, shredded
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Prep all the veggies beforehand.
- In a large pan, place two tablespoons of the sesame oil, shredded carrot, chopped red pepper, and peas.
- Sauté over medium high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cauli rice, minced garlic, and soy sauce, stirring frequently until cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the whisked eggs and stir constantly until the eggs are cooked through and scrambled throughout the rice.
- Add the additional soy sauce and remaining sesame oil.
- Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Place in your bowl and top with chopped scallion and sesame seeds.
I know I used chop sticks for the pics, but I’d go fork 😉 Enjoy!! xo