Does it really get better than mac ‘n cheese? My kids love it. I love it. It’s an easy meal guaranteed to be a family favorite.
You know I’m all about that dairy cheesy goodness. But, I’m also about options and alternatives and I don’t think you should have to choose if you don’t need to. Non-dairy sauces that are really really good and fun to make. After I saw how much you LOVED this vegan queso dip, I KNEW a version of that cheesy sauce would be perfect for mac ‘n cheese.
If you’re loving that vegan queso as much as me, you have GOT to try this jackfruit burrito bowl too. So flavorful and fun!!
At some point I suppose I should put an actual real cheese recipe up on the blog for mac ‘n cheese, but for now, I am loooving the cashew base of this vegan cheese sauce. Plus, why has nutritional yeast just entered my life? It’s amazing and shockingly cheesy and yet dairy free? Why did no one tell me?
So let’s make some dairy free, paleo, and vegan macaroni and cheese!
Cook your chickpea pasta according to package directions and drain. Place back into the pot.
Pour the cheese sauce over the chickpea pasta and mix to combine.
Top with fresh herbs (optional because my kids freak out of little bits of green are in their meals so I only add fresh herbs for the adults).
- 8 oz. chickpea pasta
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 12+ hours, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Cook your chickpea pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Place the pasta back into the empty pot.
- Place the cashews, nutritional yeast, almond milk, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt into the food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chickpea pasta and mix to combine.
- Top with fresh herbs (optional)
Want to save this for later? Pin the image below!!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you so much for supporting The Toasted Pine Nut!! xo