This low carb, gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and whole 30 Creamy Garlic Mashed Celery Root is a delicious new side dish to add in your weeknight lineup!
I’ve been dying to share this recipe with you guys! I think it’s so fun when I learn how to make a new veggie and I love to share it! It’s awesome to have a new (EASY) side dish to throw in your weeknight lineup.
How funky looking is that thing? The whole bulb is underground. The rooty part is towards the bottom and the pointy part is where the celery (those green stalks that you make ants on a log with ;-)) grows from above ground. Prettayyy cool eh?
It has a fun flavor to it, I would say it’s only slightly reminiscent of celery – definitely not too overpowering CELERY flavored. It’s unexpectedly creamy, especially considering there’s zero dairy in this dish!! I served it with some sautéd peppers, onions, and sausage. It’s great to have another mash in my repertoire beyond the traditional potato and the more modern cauli.
Want to save this for later? I made you this awesome Pinterest – friendly image 🙂
- 1 celery root
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken (or any type) broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the outer skin off the celery root. If needed, use a knife to cut off the heartier parts.
- Once the rough outer layer is removed, cut into chunky pieces, about 2 inches long.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté the celery root chunks in the olive oil into golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sauté for another minute.
- Add the broth and simmer for about five minutes.
- Place in the food processor and process for about a minute.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and add the sea salt.
- Turn on the food processor and process until smooth or desired consistency.
- I served mine with some sautéd peppers, onions, and sausage.